See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Freeze Layers, Save and Close drawing - Open drawing, Layers are not Frozen

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Freeze Layers, Save and Close drawing - Open drawing, Layers are not Frozen

Someone in my office is having trouble where the state a drawing is in is not saved. i.e. - they turn off or freeze a whole bunch of layers, save the drawing, close and when they reopen it, the layers are all back on.

Is there a parameter somewhere that controls this?

TIA

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Freeze Layers, Save and Close drawing - Open drawing, Layers are not Frozen

If the layers that the user is turning off are in a reference file that is attached to the drawing, then the visretain system variable would effect the layer states.Otherwise, this thread may help.

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Freeze Layers, Save and Close drawing - Open drawing, Layers are not Frozen

Thanks for your help, I'll check it out.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Is it possible that they have a routine called loswitch.dvb loaded, it changes layers based on the layerstate name matching the layout tab name, if you are unaware that it is running, it causes the same problems that visretain causes

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Exar Kun
    Someone in my office is having trouble where the state a drawing is in is not saved. i.e. - they turn off or freeze a whole bunch of layers, save the drawing, close and when they reopen it, the layers are all back on.

Is there a parameter somewhere that controls this?

TIA
    If these questionable layers are associated with an xref, check the VISRETAIN setting

Login to Give a bone

Go to: Tools, options. Click on Open and Save. Make sure "Retain changes to Xref Layers" is clicked.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I actually had a very similar problem, but mine involved the SaveAs command.

I have a drawing which has a large X-Ref containing some very large gradient hatches. I freeze these layers to allow me to plot the rest of the drawing.

I also use SaveAs to create the next drawing in the series which is extremely similar except that the layer state will vary somewhat. The problem is that every time I did the SaveAs the frozen layers are thawed in the new drawing.

This situation happened with VISRETAIN set to 1. I changed VISRETAIN to 0 and the problem seems to be gone. Unfortunately this appears to be the opposite of what the AutoCAD Help File suggests should be the case:

Quote Originally Posted by AutoCAD Help File

Type: Integer
    Saved in: Drawing
    Initial value: 1

Controls the properties of xref-dependent layers. Controls visibility, color, linetype, lineweight, and plot styles (if PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 0).

The layer table, as stored in the reference drawing (xref), takes precedence. Changes made to xref-dependent layers in the current drawing are valid in the current session only and are not saved with the drawing. When the current drawing is reopened, the layer table is reloaded from the reference drawing and the current drawing reflects those settings. The layer settings affected are On, Off, Freeze, Thaw, Color, Ltype, LWeight, and PStyle (if PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 0).

Xref-dependent layer changes made in the current drawing take precedence. Layer settings are saved with the current drawing's layer table and persist from session to session.
    I'm confused - am I missing something?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989.

Login to Give a bone

Try to type 'visretain' enter in command line, the value should be set to 1.