See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

I can't detach any xrefs with [ ] in the filename.
    Not a big deal? not when all our files have this in the filename. I now have to save the file, close it, open up 2006, detach the xref, save it, close it, and re-open it in 2007. not ideal.

when will this be fixed or is there a work around four this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

Bugs should be reported directly to Autodesk.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

those can be done here -> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe
    Bugs should be reported directly to Autodesk.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

Don't waste your time reporting to AutoDesk, they already know and refuse to fix it at this point in time (I have reported this and similar issues with other characters in the filenames, such as $), use the command classicxref to detach it, classicimage also works for images.

It's a work around, but that's the best that can be done.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cwade
    Don't waste your time reporting to AutoDesk, they already know and refuse to fix it at this point in time (I have reported this and similar issues with other characters in the filenames, such as $), use the command classicxref to detach it, classicimage also works for images.

It's a work around, but that's the best that can be done.
    CLASSICXREF doesn't work either. In fact, if you understand how AutoCAD works under the hood, it's not really a bug as much as it's a feature that's not completely implemented to support other functionality within AutoCAD.

The issues is specifically with the characters. AutoCAD, under the hood, uses a wide variety of characters as extended wildcards. These wildcards manifest themselves in many locations throught the product althought you typically don't see it. Make a block with the 2 square brackets as the block name in even AutoCAD 2000 then try to use the rename command to rename them. It doesn't appear you can....

..or can you?

the square brackets are part of AutCAD's extended set of wildcards. Knowing this, you can detach, unload, bind, Xref's with square brackets in the name using the command line version of the Xref command.

If your Xref name is..

MYXREF[1234]

when prompted for the Xref name to detach, type...

MYXREF`[1234`]

using a reverse quote to escape the wildcard characters (which are the square brackets) so they are interpreted litterlay insdtead of as a wildcard.

The "functionality" of these wildcards is intended and important to AutoCAD which is why it's throuyghout the product. The reall issue is, features like the Xref Manager or the Xref dialog, aren't aware of or don't implement the wildcards within their design when they should.

It looks like a bug, but it's really poor design of the new features.

If you want to learn more about these etended wildcards, the only place they are documented in in the AutoLisp reference under the function WCMATCH. While documented in Lisp code, you can use this information, as I did above, many places within the core product even if you aren't an AutoLisp programmer.

While not the best solution for you, hopefully it helps.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Actually, ClassicXref does work with these characters (I have tested it several times myself), these characters should not be treated as extended wildcards, there would be no use for doing so as a [ or ] doesn't mean anything in wild card terms, only * and ? does. This is a bug, AutoDesk has admited it is a bug, and even has the source code for how to fix this bug, but didn't have time to impliment it into this release of AutoCad as they "can not delay the ship date" which is what this version needed desperately (I am hoping that the first Service Pack fixes a lot of these issues and comes out in the next week or two, but I am not holding my breath on that one). Trust me, AutoDesk knows about this and knows that it IS a bug.

Login to Give a bone

Don't waste your time reporting to AutoDesk, they already know and refuse to fix it at this point in time.
    I don't agree. The more people complains about this the better chance that it gets fixed.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy.bergmark
    I don't agree. The more people complains about this the better chance that it gets fixed.
    I agree with Jimmy, make your voice heard - send those reports back to Autodesk... help build a better product.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: AutoCAD 2007 Xref bug - I can't detach any Xrefs with [ ] in the filename.

you took the words right out of my... fingertips, Jimmy.

I always send in my CER's when I crash, and have submitted a couple of bug reports... it's important... squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy.bergmark
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

I could stop if I wanted to Steve Johnson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

these characters should not be treated as extended wildcards
    Agreed.

there would be no use for doing so as a [ or ] doesn't mean anything in wild card terms, only * and ? does.
    Actually, the [ or ] could be part of a wildcard definition. Not that it should matter, because the names should not be being passed through the wildcard parser.

This is a bug
    Agreed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast