Thread: Computer Specs for Revit ?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am currently finding my P4-2GHz, 1GB Ram, and NVIDIA GeForce MX 420 graphics card too slow. When I do a crossing selection, the window lags behind. In general it is not smooth when I am panning and zooming. Would changing the graphics card improve the performance, if so, what card would you recommend. Or should I get a whole new system. If you recommend a new system, would you please share some of your specs or provide me with recommendation as to what to get.

I thank you all in advcance for any comments.

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Computer Specs for Revit ?

Hi Jason,

Have a look at the Revit Benchmark test results in this thread . That will give you a good idea of what specs are performing well.

Your P4 Ghz with 1Gb Ram is not a bad system and would probably rate in the mid to low range of the results we are getting. ( say 105 )
    Try benchmarking it and see.
    Similarly, there's nothing wrong with your card. Revit does not need a very high spec card anyway.
    Also, you have enough RAM.

Are you running other programs at the same time time as Revit ?
    Does the problem occur with other files ?

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    I am currently finding my P4-2GHz, 1GB Ram, and NVIDIA GeForce MX 420 graphics card too slow. When I do a crossing selection, the window lags behind. In general it is not smooth when I am panning and zooming. Would changing the graphics card improve the performance, if so, what card would you recommend. Or should I get a whole new system. If you recommend a new system, would you please share some of your specs or provide me with recommendation as to what to get.

I thank you all in advcance for any comments.

Jason
    Jason,

there was code change in revit from 5.1 to 6.X that can cause some older cards to not work well. Do a search on "slow selection" etc, but here are a few things to try:

Turn openGL acceleration off in the revit options, and/or turn down (off) the hardware acceleration on the graphic card.

Personaly I havn't had this problem, so i can't be much more help

hopefully someone else will chime in.

Z.
    Chris
    SOM | New York

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you gentelmen,

To Bee,
    I am not running anything else. I am using Revit only on the system. Other larger files has the same behaviour. I will read your link.

To Czoog,
    I have OpenGL turned off and still once in awhile I get a blank screen when I zoom in and out or switching from view to view.

Thanks again.

Jason

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Jason, you might try getting the exact make of your video card. nVidia makes the chipsets for other companies, who in turn make and sell the video cards. For instance, on my work computer I have a new AOpen video card that uses nVidia chipsets. The reference drivers by nVidia on their website might work, but you're safer to get your manufacturer's latest.

The MX420 isn't a new card, but it should be a good one. You could also try updating your Windows OS to DirectX 9, but my MX420 nVidia card that came with my Dell computer at home works fine under DirectX 8.1 -- and in general I have nothing but good experience with nVidia video. I have to use Dell's drivers, tho... Windows Update always wants me to download a newer version (a "digitally signed" reference driver, sure enough) that doesn't work! Check that this hasn't happened to you, too. I've disabled Windows Update to fix this. When I do update, I have to uncheck the video driver download every time!

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Jason,

The behaviour you are seeing sounds to me like it is an issue with Windows graphics card hardware acceleration. Go to Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced and turn your hardware acceleration to off. That did it for me - I don't think you have a system problem.

Also, I saw no adverse affects in other programs from this.

Login to Give a bone

A few things we've been finding that slow our displays down:

[list:f0cb2701f7]Floor/Roof Patterns (Especially Concrete)
    Imported Vector Data (DWG)
    Press + Drag option ON[/list:u:f0cb2701f7]

When our users remove these features, selection and overall naviagtion are vastly improved.