Thread: print via command line

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy print via command line

Voloview used to allow you to print a file (using Voloview) via the command line.
    The "print" command was registered in the registry to assist for this.

However there is no support in DWG TrueView.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: print via command line

I was able to plot using DWG TrueView 2009 by using the same /b switch that AutoCAD uses to run batch files at start up. I just created a simple script file which answered the prompts from _Plot and it plotted the drawing without me even having to use any of the screen controls.

Benn trying to home brew a VBA applet which used the usual dialog boxes to ask for files to be plotted, page size and orientation, Page Style, etc and printer to use to automatically generate a script which would then be passed to DWG TrueView along with the drawing to be plotted. Not there yet.

Robert Smeallie
    Woy Woy, Australia

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by robert_smeallie View Post
    Benn trying to home brew a VBA applet which used the usual dialog boxes to ask for files to be plotted, page size and orientation, Page Style, etc and printer to use to automatically generate a script which would then be passed to DWG TrueView along with the drawing to be plotted. Not there yet.
    YIKES! Why, oh why, are you reinventing the Publish dialog?
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: print via command line

Why am I re-inventing Publish... because the damn thing doesn't work with our office setup. It relies on every drawing in a set having the correct printer named in the page setup and because our drawings are recycled over and over for new projects the printer used at various times has changed and so the drawings all have different printers named in the page setups. Even the Autodesk Help file tells you that you can't use DWG TrueView to change the plotter settings in a drawing and that if you need to change the setting s to use the Plot command rather than the Batch Plot command.

Annoyingly I cannot get the Publish feature to work - even in DWG TrueView 2010 where it has been relabeled as Batch plot.

As a consequence, we have to use AutoCAD in conjunction with a 3rd party program called MultiBatch to do our batch plotting. Since I am the only one with AutoCAD installed on my machine I am delegated to do all of the batch printing - even though everyone else has DWG TrueView 2010 installed on their computers.

It would be nice if we lived in an ideal world where everything just worked the way it was supposed to.

Robert Smeallie
    Electrical Design Engineer (and designated Engineering office Batch Plotter)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by robert_smeallie View Post
    It relies on every drawing in a set having the correct printer named in the page setup
    True, but a drawing can contain multiple page setups. The "right" one that you need to use doesn't have to be the one last saved in the drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by robert_smeallie
    and because our drawings are recycled over and over for new projects the printer used at various times has changed and so the drawings all have different printers named in the page setups.
    If you are the drawing creator, meaning that you get to choose the template drawing, then you can start with a template that contains a "good" page setup. Then unless someone goes in and purposely overwrites this "good" pagesetup, it will be there when you go to Publish.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: print via command line

Rick,

Since my last post I finally got my head around Publish and using Page Setups. I was able to create 2 empty drawings which had the Page Setup I wanted then used the Import Page Setup to refer to which drawing I wanted to use to plot my drawings depending on page size, plotter etc and it all worked OK. I've also modified our default Title Block drawing (and even my acadiso.dwt file) so that the current Page Setup is used and I've now educated the guys in our office on how to do it. Since all of them have DWG TrueView 2010 on their computers they can now create their own batch plots which frees me up to do other work now.

I also found the "Replace Page Setups" tool in the DWG Convert-->Conversion Setups-->Modify Conversion Setup dialog box so if I want I can replace all of the old page setups (with the defunct plotter chosen) with the current Page Setup containing the current plotter so that anyone can easily plot out the drawings using DWG TrueView without having to import the current Page Setup.

Robert Smeallie
    Electrical Design Engineer