See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need some career advice...

Where do I live? Now that's a good question...
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: I need some career advice...

Speaking of which, I have accepted the new position and will be starting in a little over two weeks from now. My current supervisor is very disappointed to see me go, but said that if he were fifteen years younger, he'd be going with me. The new job will nearly double my current salary and from what I've heard, both here and from other folks, it should be a very interesting/exciting career move. So, I'm saying prayer, crossing fingers, and hoping for the best. If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll just change my name, move out west, and become a river guide.... Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat channel, and I'll post back here, once I get a little time under my belt, to let everyone know if this was the best decision ever, or a (dramatic pause: dunh, dunh, dunh!) huge mistake. Thanks again for everyone's input, you've all been terrificly helpful in making the decision whether or not to take the leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Blades
    That's a great attitude to have and if I lived in an idealistic world, it wouldn't be a problem. However, my reality is this: I did do those things you mentioned including finishing my engineering degree and teaching myself the software packages we use, to the point, that I'm the most knowledgeable person here in regards to their use. I've even taken on the duties of a CAD Manager since no one else has either the time or inclination to do the work. Now having said all that, here's how it has worked out for me: After four years here, I'm still not considered an engineer (regardless of my degree), I have additional duties, and I'm not even in the bottom 1% of the engineering pay scale (still stuck in the lower mid-level drafting pay scale). It's all well and good to talk about bettering your company and looking out for them, but it's remarkably difficult to do when that sentiment/ethic isn't reciprocated. My immediate supervisor's would have no problem paying me what I'm worth, but they don't make that decision. They make a recommendation and some accountant in another country says that the business projection for the next quarter is down, so no raises (cost of living or merit) this year (or the last two for that matter). All this on top of the fact that our division has posted record profits for the past three years... So, as you can see, it's not always a matter of attitude, motivation, or hard work, sometimes you just have to make a move to better yourself. Thanks for the input though.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I need some career advice...

Good news and good luck Baron!
    Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I know where you're comin from man. Corporate capitalism SUCKS. Best wishes with the new position.

Login to Give a bone

That's a great attitude to have and if I lived in an idealistic world, it wouldn't be a problem. However, my reality is this: I did do those things you mentioned including finishing my engineering degree and teaching myself the software packages we use, to the point, that I'm the most knowledgeable person here in regards to their use. I've even taken on the duties of a CAD Manager since no one else has either the time or inclination to do the work. Now having said all that, here's how it has worked out for me: After four years here, I'm still not considered an engineer (regardless of my degree), I have additional duties, and I'm not even in the bottom 1% of the engineering pay scale (still stuck in the lower mid-level drafting pay scale). It's all well and good to talk about bettering your company and looking out for them, but it's remarkably difficult to do when that sentiment/ethic isn't reciprocated. My immediate supervisor's would have no problem paying me what I'm worth, but they don't make that decision. They make a recommendation and some accountant in another country says that the business projection for the next quarter is down, so no raises (cost of living or merit) this year (or the last two for that matter). All this on top of the fact that our division has posted record profits for the past three years... So, as you can see, it's not always a matter of attitude, motivation, or hard work, sometimes you just have to make a move to better yourself. Thanks for the input though.
    Sounds like you made an honest effort. It they don't appreciate it, it's time to take your experience & work ethics & move on to someone who does. Best of luck. Hope your new job leaves the other guys in the dust.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the well wishes everybody. I gotta say that farris is right corporate capitalism does blow bubbles. It's not even that I think my supervisors don't appreciate me, it's that they don't have the ability to do anything about it. Our division has lost several good people in the last few years for that very reason. I think they'd lose more if it weren't for the fact that a lot of our people are in the 45+ age range and are afraid to leave. You know this should probably be in the "blood boiling" thread, but I can never understand why a company will dump a ton of money into software, hardware, or marketing, when none of that stuff is useful without quality individuals to drive it. Guess that's why I'm not a CEO (well that and I can't lie with a straight face...).
    Quote Originally Posted by drafter29
    Sounds like you made an honest effort. It they don't appreciate it, it's time to take your experience & work ethics & move on to someone who does. Best of luck. Hope your new job leaves the other guys in the dust.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the well wishes everybody. I gotta say that farris is right corporate capitalism does blow bubbles. It's not even that I think my supervisors don't appreciate me, it's that they don't have the ability to do anything about it. Our division has lost several good people in the last few years for that very reason. I think they'd lose more if it weren't for the fact that a lot of our people are in the 45+ age range and are afraid to leave. You know this should probably be in the "blood boiling" thread, but I can never understand why a company will dump a ton of money into software, hardware, or marketing, when none of that stuff is useful without quality individuals to drive it. Guess that's why I'm not a CEO (well that and I can't lie with a straight face...).
    I'm in the corporate toilet bowl, too. Except that I'm contracted out to corp. For the most part, anyone above my boss's boss doesn't know I exist, except for the invoices. That makes it easy for them to forget I'm here, which can be a blessing or a curse. No p---litical garbage, but never know one year to the next if they are going to renew my contract.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, once you're in the corporate pond, you tend to become a number on a spreadsheet. It's apparently very easy to subtract that number, to make the bottom line look all nice and pretty for the investors... I suppose it beats being an indentured servant though...
    Quote Originally Posted by drafter29
    I'm in the corporate toilet bowl, too. Except that I'm contracted out to corp. For the most part, anyone above my boss's boss doesn't know I exist, except for the invoices. That makes it easy for them to forget I'm here, which can be a blessing or a curse. No p---litical garbage, but never know one year to the next if they are going to renew my contract.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have accepted the new position and will be starting in a little over two weeks from now.
    That's good news! Congrats!!

Career advice: There are two different tracks up the ladder, staying put and taking chances. Staying put works in environments where you enjoy your work and realize there will be opportunities if you work hard and be a company person.

Taking chances works if you move from job to job every few years and are choosy about what you take and don't take. This works if you get as much as you can from your current job and move up the career ladder in another location.

Big wigs are made both ways, but typically most jump around in their 20's and 30's before settling into one track or another. The ones that "stay put" will do just that once they find that "management" potential job where they have the opportunity to work their way up the company ladder. The ones that "take chances" may fall from time to time, but will usually jump their way up the ladder.

But both ways do something you are doing right now... they always look for ways to make themselves better, being more marketable, making contacts, and making themselves a more well rounded person within their field. This job is GREAT for all those things if you see Technology as being something that will greatly enfluence your career path... and if you are reading this then there's a good chance you DO see technology as that thing that greatly enfluences your career.

So my advice? Keep your options open... learn EVERYTHING they throw at you... network yourself... and most importantly, stay focused on where you want to be because if you always look in that direction (may it be family life or professional) then you'll always be heading in the right direction to reach those goals. People will try to knock you off track as the years go by, but don't be afraid to turn down some good offers to reach your ultimate goals, to watch your kids grow up and to be happy with what you've done with your life.

Good luck and keep in touch!!!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks B. That's pretty much how I feel about things too. I'm excited about the opportunities that this job represents, but I'm a little nervous that as I become more proficient, more of an asset, they'll want to run me into the ground. I've seen a couple guys burn out like that, and I want to avoid it. My wife and little girl come first and foremost, so I think as long as I try to do whats best for them and for us as a family, everything else will come out in the wash. Thanks again for the advice, that was a big help in making my decision. I'll definitely stay in touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    That's good news! Congrats!!

Career advice: There are two different tracks up the ladder, staying put and taking chances. Staying put works in environments where you enjoy your work and realize there will be opportunities if you work hard and be a company person.

Taking chances works if you move from job to job every few years and are choosy about what you take and don't take. This works if you get as much as you can from your current job and move up the career ladder in another location.

Big wigs are made both ways, but typically most jump around in their 20's and 30's before settling into one track or another. The ones that "stay put" will do just that once they find that "management" potential job where they have the opportunity to work their way up the company ladder. The ones that "take chances" may fall from time to time, but will usually jump their way up the ladder.

But both ways do something you are doing right now... they always look for ways to make themselves better, being more marketable, making contacts, and making themselves a more well rounded person within their field. This job is GREAT for all those things if you see Technology as being something that will greatly enfluence your career path... and if you are reading this then there's a good chance you DO see technology as that thing that greatly enfluences your career.

So my advice? Keep your options open... learn EVERYTHING they throw at you... network yourself... and most importantly, stay focused on where you want to be because if you always look in that direction (may it be family life or professional) then you'll always be heading in the right direction to reach those goals. People will try to knock you off track as the years go by, but don't be afraid to turn down some good offers to reach your ultimate goals, to watch your kids grow up and to be happy with what you've done with your life.

Good luck and keep in touch!!!

Login to Give a bone

Hello all. I just wanted to stick my head back in the forums and give the crew an update. I'm about 2.5 weeks into the new job and I'm still enjoying myself. I really haven't had time to breathe yet, but I've been promised that things will slow down soon (not sure I believe that one ). I had to deliver a presentation, on a product I'm unfamiliar with, the third day on the job, and they want me to teach a class on it in a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I'm scrambling to teach myself the new software and get over the "Aaggghh, I have to speak in front of people!" fear all at the same time. They've scheduled some training for me on the other products, but I think that will have to be crammed in as time/customers allow. Aside from the extra time the job takes and the hectic pace, it's great and the people are above average as well. I also spoke with some friends from my previous job and they said that I got out at exactly the right time and that things there are blowing up in everyone's face. There will more to come later. Cheers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast