See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrate Custom Settings

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Migrate Custom Settings

Has anyone noticed that "migrate custom settings" is not available after installation of ADT 2007? It was in ADT 2006 as well as AutoCAD 2007... it's just not available upon install of ADT 2007. Even the common AdMigrator.exe is not installed.

I could stop if I wanted to Beth Powell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrate Custom Settings

That's fine as far as I'm concerned. I thought that was cool in the beginning, but after I realized that it would add the old paths to the support files path it wasn't so cool anymore. I'd prefer to do that myself or at least have a more custom migration that might ask if I'd like a copy of some things moved to a certain place. All the more reason to have things stored in a central location instead of docs and settings...

Login to Give a bone

I never use migrate custom settings. Who knows what a previous user has customized that will screw with the current version settings.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

That's a very good point.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    I never use migrate custom settings. Who knows what a previous user has customized that will screw with the current version settings.
    Now I'm curious, if you are dealing with a fairly uneducated company, specially one that may have had a CAD manager leave, what steps do you usually take to figure out what may/may not be customized? I recently had a company a loooong way away from me that I'd rather not visit their site if its not required ask me what needs to be transfered. Luckily they have an educated CAD manager and I was easily able to talk to him.. but what if they hadn't? I'm curious how we handle it?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    Now I'm curious, if you are dealing with a fairly uneducated company, specially one that may have had a CAD manager leave, what steps do you usually take to figure out what may/may not be customized? I recently had a company a loooong way away from me that I'd rather not visit their site if its not required ask me what needs to be transfered. Luckily they have an educated CAD manager and I was easily able to talk to him.. but what if they hadn't? I'm curious how we handle it?
    You mean like someone leave that doesn't document everything they did?

Well, Typically, I'll document all tabs in options & that typical will get me all the info I'd need.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    Well, Typically, I'll document all tabs in options & that typical will get me all the info I'd need.
    Hmmm... this sounds like a Wish List item in the making....

Let me bounce this off you: Would a quick routine that allowed you to print off all these directories for quick reference be of use? In other words, currently it seems difficult to get all these directories printed off and in one location. As-is, you need to open each tab and (+) and then likely write them all down unless you capture the screen and print the image. Would a feature allowing you to simply click and boom, all your directories (and perhaps even all your referenced files) would be there in a list, be a helpful utility? Seems like such a thing should exist already.... Anyway, it would make the management much easier even if it didn't migrate the settings itself... it also doesn't feel like a utility that would take many man hours to create...

Login to Give a bone

In theory, that sounds good.

I have been playing with a form that I use to send to a company contact before I install anything at a customer's site to better prepare and communicate. What you're suggesting might be helpful with that as well because sometimes the contact for the company is not always the CAD Manager or they have a power user or no official CAD Manager.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    Hmmm... this sounds like a Wish List item in the making....

Let me bounce this off you: Would a quick routine that allowed you to print off all these directories for quick reference be of use? In other words, currently it seems difficult to get all these directories printed off and in one location. As-is, you need to open each tab and (+) and then likely write them all down unless you capture the screen and print the image. Would a feature allowing you to simply click and boom, all your directories (and perhaps even all your referenced files) would be there in a list, be a helpful utility? Seems like such a thing should exist already.... Anyway, it would make the management much easier even if it didn't migrate the settings itself... it also doesn't feel like a utility that would take many man hours to create...
    Snag it from tech smith allows you to capture an entire window even if you need to scroll to see it all.

Login to Give a bone

That is true. Snag It is one program I can't live without. I think Dilbert was thinking of something that would create a printable file with a routine. Or at least that's what I envisioned when I read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast