Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rotating two towers

Login to Give a bone

Default rotating two towers

We have a site with two towers, they're next to eachother and rotated about 30deg from their respective center points.

each tower needs to be rotated about 5deg from their centers. what's the best way to grab a whole tower, with all the tags, grids, text, room seperations etc.etc.etc. and rotate it?

the rest of the site (parking structure, 3rd building etc.) is not to be rotated..

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: rotating two towers

Quote Originally Posted by robg
    We have a site with two towers, they're next to eachother and rotated about 30deg from their respective center points.

each tower needs to be rotated about 5deg from their centers. what's the best way to grab a whole tower, with all the tags, grids, text, room seperations etc.etc.etc. and rotate it?

the rest of the site (parking structure, 3rd building etc.) is not to be rotated..
    In my opinion it is a little too specific of a question, and it depends on how you set up your drawings, which I guess it depends on what phase you are in.

In Example, are you showing each tower on the drawings individually (by themselves)? If so, are you showing the tower with its distortion, or parallel to the sheet? If you are showing it parallel to the sheet, how are you showing that? Through Project North vs. True North? or Using the Scope Boxes? or using the Callout Views?

Can you attach a image clip of the current plans (site and floor plans) and also do you have various plans in your documents that have been developed? or just the Site, main floor plan, and roof? The more plans you have set up with View dependent elements (text, dimensions, etc) the more complicated the solution will be (but not imposible)

I am sorry that I have too many questions, but I know that a good answer would need this info....

Peace,
    Luigi

Login to Give a bone

there's no true north vs project north, and they're plotting rotated on the sheets. we just need to rotate them on the project independantly, each by 5deg upon their own center points.

we just wanna be able to rotate everything without missing any information/gridlines/notes.
    just curious what the best way about this is.

each building has it's own set of worksets (ie: west-shell, west-structures, west-grid, and so on..with the east getting it's own)

Login to Give a bone

You might find it easier to split the two tower project into two projects each with a tower, and then the site as a separate project.

Then link each tower into the site, & rotate them there...

Login to Give a bone

the problem with that is the connector building between them. we're hesitant about linked files cause they seem limited in their ability to be recognized for and how they interact with the rest of the project when you put new walls against the linked ones.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by robg
    there's no true north vs project north, and they're plotting rotated on the sheets. we just need to rotate them on the project independantly, each by 5deg upon their own center points.

we just wanna be able to rotate everything without missing any information/gridlines/notes.
    just curious what the best way about this is.

each building has it's own set of worksets (ie: west-shell, west-structures, west-grid, and so on..with the east getting it's own)
    I have been able to select all of the 3d and 2d(each seperate view) at the same time, and then the rotate will work on all selected
    (I would go into a 3d view (non perspective) that has everything on (all worksets and all phases) and select with big window everything.... then I would go into each view and do a big window around everything that is 2d as well (by adding to the selection) and when I think I had all selected, I would do the rotate command (but make sure to filter out things like views, etc. that you don't want rotated) Use a good reference point for your rotate, so that if you forgot to rotate something you know exactly which point you used....

Keep in mind that you cannot escape some tweeking (for example the text will be pointed correctly, but the text will be crooked...you then will have to rotate the text, but not the whole text with leader, to have it parallel with the bottom of your page....

You can also do it by steps...first the 3d elements in a 3d view, then each view individually, as long as you have an exact point of reference that is always in the same position...

Hope this helps,

Peace,
    Luigi

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Rob, two towers ???? Wait 'till the king's get back

Login to Give a bone

different project. they dumped it on me for the day. FUN FUN FUN!

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there,
    I have no idea if this will help; however, the other "simple" way to rotate graphically is to simply activate (show) the crop region and then rotate the crop region.

Simple and old trick, but many users don't know about it.
    Good Luck
    Steve

I could stop if I wanted to David Haynes's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Great tip Steve, but works on a per-view basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast