Thread: better selection filters

AUGI Addict

When filtering a selection, it would be good if instead of just generic "walls" or "windows" you could filter specific wall types or whatever - as the select all instances is not view specific, it selects ALL instances

I could stop if I wanted to

Default Re: better selection filters

The filter command could do with quite a bit of improvement.
    Maybe even the option to 'save' filter selections.

It can be very difficult to change certain wall types as you say you dont always want to 'select all instances' from the browser.
    (unless that can be view specific)

This could also be accomplished to a smaller extent with my right-click = select-all-instances request. You could right-click the wall type in question. I think we need both of these features...I like autocad for the simple fact that there are at least 4 ways to do everything.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRangeMonkey
    ...I like autocad for the simple fact that there are at least 4 ways to do everything.
    I think more and more this is what I don't like about ADT/AutoCAD...take your pick. Ever try to train folks...what a nightmare. Take just two commands, Group and Align...check the help files for these...Group has no tool buttom or menu access and Align, well Align's link in help takes you to ACISOUT.

Anyway, Great commands, simple...one way does it well. That's what is great about Revit. The right click concepts are great and we can certainly benefit from some more enhancements there.

I suppose you have deleted your keyboardshortcuts.txt file then?

I have customized my keyboard shortcuts so that almost every command can be accessed with the keyboard...still waiting to be able to set up a shortcut for "view range". I still have my toolbars visible, but I try to learn the commands instead.

I like to have several ways to accomplish things, if for no other reason than it is just plain GOOD UI Design. This is why you can still TAB through links on a web page...who ever does that? I do...all the time. I don't use my mouse any more than I have to. If I am on a well-designed site with good TAB ordering, I will just TAB like crazy!

Finally, I have taught AutoCAD to students, and I have been taught AutoCAD by teachers. It is my impression that most teachers pick their one way to do things and go with it. Nowadays it seems that nobody teaches command-line AutoCAD anymore. Many of the new draftsmen I have worked with have no idea how to customize aliases or even use them for that matter. Autodesk has certainly pushed icons and menus in the last 8 years over command line. I would hate for Revit to become "icon-only". And leaving it up to Revit to decide which way is best for everybody does not work, as evidenced by all of the Wishlist items here...

Give me more options and give me the option to disable those options I opt not to use!

Greg

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Definitely, it's outta there!!

But seriously, no, of course not. I use the keyboard for a lot of commands, zoom and view primarily. I too await the arrival of keyboard shortcut access to view range, I've posted in at least two separate wishlists.

My comments are more a personal "crisis". Not implying that you are on the wrong track. Your comment merely popped my thoughts into focus.

I find that I've been so accustomed to AutoCAD that I impose the methods I've grown comfortable with subconsciously (I also have to use Microstation). Therefore as I've chosen to "un-learn" these habits, it becomes more and more apparent to me how complex and heavy "A" has become because of it's "need" to be flexible, all things to everyone. Does anyone really miss all those variables? Like maxsort, mirrtext, maxactvprts or whatever?

I've been teaching a comm college class this semester and it scares me how many of these keyboard only variables and commands I know. The align one is a great example of an old, good command that dropped off the "face" of A. You should see the look on the face of a student when you tell him to use a command that has no toolbutton, no menu item and doesn't get addressed in the help files...can you say bewildered...LOL

I enjoy the lack of that....not flexibilty,finesse or efficiency. Keyboard access to commands is efficient, as is the mouse. Keyboard access via the left hand (me) and mouse for the right is most efficient for me. Key-in sequences that are easiest for the left hand are what works for me.

Tabbing through screens exists because before the mouse you had no other means. It remains partly to be a backup for if the mouse fails to work, you need a way to navigate mostly mouseless. Programmers would probably be glad if they didn't have to allow for that, maybe. That said, I'm glad it exists. When typing who wants to go back and forth to mouse?

Hey, we want the same thing...great improvements to a great product.

Keep Rrrrrrring!