Thread: Keynote philosophy

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Keynote philosophy

We are just breaking into using keynotes and I have a philosophy question for those of you who use them often.

It seems that keynotes lend themselves quite easily to noting materials, but not necessarily to clarifying statements. For instance, if there is a piece of flashing, I can easily keynote that and note it, but then I also want to add a statement that says "lap weather barrier over flashing and provide sealant at flashing/siding seam."

For things like that, how do you handle them?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Keynote philosophy

I have a post in the wish list forum called keynote improvement.
    I have the same questions/problems as you.
    It would be great if the keynote system could be programmed in such a way that 1 click puts the standard keynote (as per the master text file) on screen, BUT then there is an additional info button or something which you can click to enter additional descriptive text as you want immediately below the keynote.

This would make the entire note 1 object to move around the screen etc rather than having to manually place additional text below the keynote as we do now.

Login to Give a bone

To me, one purpose of keynotes is to allow long descriptions. So I was happy to find that Revit Keynotes will word-wrap long paragraphs.
    I've used CSI divisions as general guidelines only: 02.##, 06.##, etc.

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well the keynotes don't look like they are any use to us still... We place a keynote with a numerical reference and a couple of words on the drawing (eg "(342)12 Aluminium Window") and then schedule the keynotes with full specification information in a description field - ie a long paragraph. It might be possible to do this by scheduling keynotes and using a type schedule but I haven't had a go at it yet.
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have not made a new keynote object, and, I'm wondering if that might be the ticket. I.e., have the number and the description like the ootb keynote does, and then add an instance parameter to contain a modifier as required.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Instead of using a keynote use Tag > Material this will allow you to select a keynote and give it any description you want, if you need new keynotes you will still have to manually add it in the text file but this is much easier than opening the text file everytime you need to change a note.

Edit - This is for text notes not keynotes in the traditional sense