Thread: Revit Structure practice?

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Structure practice?

When I send my Revit Building file to my structural engineer, is he supposed to open that file in Structure, or is he supposed to start his own new file and link in my Building file? What is the proper way to do things?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Structure practice?

I'm not sure of the best approch, but from what I hear, the RS model should contain the floor slab, framing, columns, cip...... the structure. The RB model would then be linked into the RS model, and vise versa. You can then use the copy/monitor tool to track changes. I haven't tried it yet, but it kind of makes sense.

Login to Give a bone

The best (and preferred) practice is to create a separate Revit Structure file and link in the Revit Building File. By doing so, they take advantage of Copy/Monitor features and Interference checks.

This allows the Arch. and Engineer to continue with the workflow they are used to, but ensures coordinated and consistent models.

Login to Give a bone

Right, that's what I thought.

So when I send him our file (which consists of me uploading said file to our firm's website, then the engineer goes to the website and downloads the file and saves to his computer), then he should open/start a new project, link our file, and then he can copy in the structural objects into his file. Is that right?

Login to Give a bone

Well, when you say "copy in structural objects" I think the way they should do it is copy/monitor your walls, architectural columns, floors, levels and grids. They should then construct a "structural model" with elements in their model.

I think you understand the gist of it...

Login to Give a bone

seems to me the engineer would not want to copy and paste structure from a RB file. If I were him I'd trace whatever structure the architect has drawn and then have the architect erase his structure once I'm done. Just a hunch, but it seems like you're asking for unexpected problems by copying. Very soon I'll be having to make this same decision on our project...

All AUGI, all the time Arnel Aguel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Will it not be most beneficial to all to have a white paper on this as to how exactly this two programs work hand in hand in actual practice so much more that we have revit systems also coming.

Without clear direction there will be plenty of rendundant works here on both teams. I really don't have any idea how it really works so kindly enlighten me. Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Arnel Aguel
    Will it not be most beneficial to all to have a white paper on this as to how exactly this two programs work hand in hand in actual practice so much more that we have revit systems also coming.

Without clear direction there will be plenty of rendundant works here on both teams. I really don't have any idea how it really works so kindly enlighten me. Thanks
    Whitepapers are available with regard to workflow for Revit Building and Revit Structures
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=5790057

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ck.107547
    seems to me the engineer would not want to copy and paste structure from a RB file.
    To clarify: Copy/Monitor and Copy/Paste are not the same.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of you are coping with linked RB models inside your host RS model, specifically with respect to view ranges.

I think most structural models will have their default view range set to some distance below, and some distance above, the level at hand. For coordination, I usually want to see the architect's model only 'at level'. Unfortunately, setting a different view range for the linked model is very awkward, and can only be done on a view-by-view basis. We're finding this to be a limiting factor in our ability to effectively use/view/plot an RB model inside our RS model...beyond the initial copy/monitor exercise.

I've expressed this to the factory at every opportunity. Do others agree that this functionality would be useful? (ie: the ability to set a linked model's view range independently from the host model, in a way that could be saved in a view template).
    Last edited by Jos Arpink; 2006-05-02 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Clarification

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hammond
    The best (and preferred) practice is to create a separate Revit Structure file and link in the Revit Building File. By doing so, they take advantage of Copy/Monitor features and Interference checks.

This allows the Arch. and Engineer to continue with the workflow they are used to, but ensures coordinated and consistent models.
    This is how our firm handles Revit Building files.