See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing will not open - Access violation. Unable to open drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Drawing will not open - Access violation. Unable to open drawing.

I cannot open this drawing and can't xref this drawing into another drawing. When i open it it prompts me as if it is read only but it is not and when I say yes to open it tells me Access violation. unable to open drawing.

When I xref the drawing it says that it is invalid and function cancelled.

Has anyone ever seen this and if so how do you solve this? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Drawing will not open - Access violation. Unable to open drawing.

any chance you can make a screen capture so we can see the exact error code?
    Quote Originally Posted by akasten
    I cannot open this drawing and can't xref this drawing into another drawing. When i open it it prompts me as if it is read only but it is not and when I say yes to open it tells me Access violation. unable to open drawing.

When I xref the drawing it says that it is invalid and function cancelled.

Has anyone ever seen this and if so how do you solve this? Thanks.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing will not open - Access violation. Unable to open drawing.

I cannot open this drawing
    What drawing? Can you upload it somewhere so someone else can try?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

The error message is attached. The thing is that everyone else can open the drawing and I can't. So is there something wrong with my settings or the drawing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Drawing will not open - Access violation. Unable to open drawing.

with the 'read-only' message... and this error, I'd just have to guess that your permissions are mucked up. I'm assuming you're accessing these drawings from a networked location?
    The error message is attached. The thing is that everyone else can open the drawing and I can't. So is there something wrong with my settings or the drawing?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Drawing will not open - Access violation. Unable to open drawing.

Just a shot in the dark,
    Check in your Preferences (options) under 'Open and Save', in the External References category in the 'Demand Load Xrefs' area and see if you have"Enabled with copy" checked off. You should if everyone is supposed to be referencing and working on shared drawings and xrefs.

Also, make sure everyone else in the office does too. It allows everyone to load xrefs when someone else is in it. Also, if someone is just referencing the xref and they don't have "enabled with copy" checked off, it locks everyone else out.

I hope it helps.

Ted

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you were in our office, I woudl know what the problem is. Chances are something got glitched up. I would check the securities settings on your machine and the file. Although you probably would be having more issues than one file if it was that. The only other recommendation I make is to reboot your computer and see what happens (although I'm sure you've tried that).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    Just a shot in the dark,
    Check in your Preferences (options) under 'Open and Save', in the External References category in the 'Demand Load Xrefs' area and see if you have"Enabled with copy" checked off. You should if everyone is supposed to be referencing and working on shared drawings and xrefs.

Also, make sure everyone else in the office does too. It allows everyone to load xrefs when someone else is in it. Also, if someone is just referencing the xref and they don't have "enabled with copy" checked off, it locks everyone else out.

I hope it helps.

Ted
    This happens allot at our office when someone new starts and/or a new seat of AutoCAD is loaded. The default is just "Enabled" which caused the above mentioned problem.

Login to Give a bone

All of the settings that you suggested are correct: DEMANDLOAD is correct. Xloadctl is correct. We have rebooted numerous times. We have checked his securities and locks and everything is the way it should be. No interferences. I think it is just one of those things that the software coughs up once in awhile. We just bypassed the drawing and replaced it with a recalled drawing from the past. It works now. Just don't know why all of a sudden it wouldn't let him in the drawing or create a xref.

Thank you all for your great suggestions, just AutoCAD loves playing tricks. LOL.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I had the same issue. I took a shot in the dark and just added the number 1 to the end of the filename in windows explorer, and the file opened right up. I was able to save as the original file name, and xref it where I needed it to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast