Thread: Tool Palette problems - Unable to execute tool. Possible causes are

Login to Give a bone

Default Tool Palette problems - Unable to execute tool. Possible causes are

Ok, this seems to be a pretty rare error, but I figure I'll give it a shot on here. Sorry if I am overly detailed in this, but i want to be as clear as possible. This is AutoCAD 2006.

We are currently developing a palette menu system for our company. Meet me, the test version creator. (yeehaw right?) We have hundreds of users, so I'm using the method of creating a folder system on the server, then aiming the palette path in options at the folder i want, which brings up a blank palette, then populating, then switching folders etc etc. This way there is no importing, moving folders or anything...once it's built, it's built. It remembers everything i put on. Pretty standard.

I am creating buttons on the palettes that switch the tool palette path under options. This lets me jump between palettes (example department to department) by using icons on the palettes themselves instead of creating a custom toolbar. I am currently doing this by copying the lisp routine item off of the 'commands' palette that comes with AutoCAD, and pasting it on my new palettes to save trouble. I can then edit the command line and of course I'm using the beloved ^C^C*_toolpalettepath blah blah blah etc etc. This works great, I love it!

It wasn't until i decided to test it on another machine that the trouble started. He played with them for a bit, rearranging icons, nothing major and then Bam! we get an error that says:

Unable to execute tool. Possible causes are:

-The tool is not registered properly, Please check your installation.
    -The tool is from another application and is incompatible with the current application.
    "OK"

I know what you're thinking, why didn't i lock them down before having him test them? Cause i didn't think of that first duh! So i go back to my machine from there. Works fine for a few palette changes, then i get the same error.

I've found that if i re-aim the palette location to some other location on the server unrelated to this build, and then reload the path that just gave me problems before, the buttons will start working again. If i click slowly,, i can change between two palettes that reference each other endlessly.

However, if i start clicking very quickly between two palettes (almost double click speed) I will get the error within 4-5 clicks every time if not instantly. What is causing this? It honestly seems to be clicking speed, and if clicking speed is going to break the palette command buttons thats a HUGE problem because we have lots of 'old' users that double click everything anyways.

I have tried switching to read only and all writable, but it never changes the situation, it will always get that error if i click quick enough.

Looking for any input i can get here as to what is happening. Can it not write the palette files fast enough to keep up with a quick click? Is it because all these paths are in the same root?

Example of structure:
    G:\Development\Index
    G:\Development\Departments\Mechanical
    G:\Development\Departments\Plant Design

Thanks for any help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tool Palette problems - Unable to execute tool. Possible causes are

Hi

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Tool Palette problems - Unable to execute tool. Possible causes are

Quote Originally Posted by eric.hawkins
    <SNIP>

It wasn't until i decided to test it on another machine that the trouble started. He played with them for a bit, rearranging icons, nothing major and then Bam! we get an error that says:

Unable to execute tool. Possible causes are:

-The tool is not registered properly, Please check your installation.
    -The tool is from another application and is incompatible with the current application.
    "OK"

<SNIP>
    Hi

Is everyone using the same version of AutoCAD ?

Are any vertical Autodesk products being used ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eric.hawkins

Unable to execute tool.

Thanks for any help.
    You are not alone

http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...hreadID=468529

Maybe you could attempt to contact one or both of these gentlemen to see if they found a solution?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Is everyone using the same version of AutoCAD ?

Are any vertical Autodesk products being used ?

Have a good one, Mike
    Yes myself and my tester both have AutoCAD 2006. However he does have other Autodesk softwares on his machine. He has AutoCAD 2007 as well.

Think this is the problem? That was the first thing to cross my mind when this first happened, but when i went back to test it on my computer (that does not have 2007 on it) it worked fine for all of 10 palette switches, then gave me the same error.

I'll try to follow up with the link given earlier. Thanks.