Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AutoCAD 2006 crashes about every 45 minutes while Panning?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006 crashes about every 45 minutes while Panning?

I'm going to add my two cents on this one. We were having a similar problem and if you are using the Dynamic Input (DYN) aspect it could and is most likely your culprit. If you turn off the Dynamic Input or change the settings to only track one (possibly two) items at a time. You should see a complete drop off of crashes.

We recently jumped our Engineering department to ABS06 and we started getting complaints about this issue. They would be doing simple commands, such as panning while drawing a line. So everytime I tried to replicate the issue I came up empty. It wasn't until I was working on the user's machine that it hit me. My profile/user settings was the same except for the fact that they had their Dynamic Inputs turned on. I can't stand them so I have always turned them off.

So long and short of it all ... I tested my theory and sure enough it would crash out a file while drawing a polyline around a building while panning with the Dynamic Input turned on. With it off I could go crazy with the cursor while panning, zooming, and drawing and wouldn't have any crashing issues.

That setting is crazy anyway ... why would you need to track Resultng Dimension, Length Change, Absolute Angle, Angle Change, and Arc Radius at the same time?!

Rob

*** I read one of the other forum topics where they talked about using a lisp routine that used reactors. We currently are using one that watches the dimscale and dimtext variables. We wanted to have our text size automatically set based on the default dimtxt variable and dimscale (dimtxt * dimscale) - we also added in the option of turning on an automatic update of the ltscale or celtscale. We are also using a different modemacro to display the dimscale, ltscale, textsize, and celtscale. - I stripped the profile clean of all of these settings during the time we had this problem and still had it occuring. I'm pretty confident that the issue lies squarely on the Dynamic Input settings. If you lower it to track just one or two it doesn't crash. Most of our users have it turned off just out of fear of it crashing again ***
    Last edited by Rob_Miller; 2006-05-24 at 02:23 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Does your file has an IMAGE in it?
    My 2005 or 2006 crashes, stalls, just does annoying things until we narrowed it down to images. My display had problem when I remove or move a dialog box out of the way, it leaves a white "foot-print", and most times, out of memory. The drawing has images, the largest 9.7MB (pretty small to even have been a problem)

Initially thoughts:
    Points in the drawing (LD). I removed all of them from the drawing; still problemed.
    Updated my display driver, especially since I use two monitors, still problemed.
    Tried it in two other machines, the same issued developed.

Just narrowed it down to images. Quite surprising, after every image in the drawing was removed,
    my system works like a charm. AutoCAD 2005 / 2006 is "smooth".

It is really a shame I may not be able to use an image in AutoCAD; it has to be a bug.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

i haven't had the issue lately but i also hardly ever use dynamic input.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12