See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: storm.shx is a shape file, not a text font file

Login to Give a bone

Default storm.shx is a shape file, not a text font file

I keep getting this message after opening a AutoCAD v 2004 drawing that is an in house drawing and has not been used by any outside people:

P:\Municipal\3202050443\Cadd\DESIGN\Data\storm.shx is a shape file, not a text
    font file.

The drawing has worked in the past and this message did not used to appear. So it seems that somebody in house has attached the wrong storm.shx file to the drawing when prompted upon opening the drawing since the folder option in question is not even the correct folder where the drawing is stored. Is there a way I can get rid of the wrong storm.shx file and attach the correct one so that this message does not appear anymore?

I could stop if I wanted to andy.manninen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: storm.shx is a shape file, not a text font file

Quote Originally Posted by jgwallace
    I keep getting this message after opening a AutoCAD v 2004 drawing that is an in house drawing and has not been used by any outside people:

P:Municipal3202050443CaddDESIGNDatastorm.shx is a shape file, not a text
    font file.

The drawing has worked in the past and this message did not used to appear. So it seems that somebody in house has attached the wrong storm.shx file to the drawing when prompted upon opening the drawing since the folder option in question is not even the correct folder where the drawing is stored. Is there a way I can get rid of the wrong storm.shx file and attach the correct one so that this message does not appear anymore?
    Sounds as if the drawing contains a linetype that is not in the SHX file. type in LINETYPE in the command line and delete any linetypes that are not your standard. Or check in the map pulldown under query and define querry to see if the storm shx is in there, if so delete it! Hope this helps,
    :Cheers:

Login to Give a bone

P:\Municipal\3202050443\Cadd\DESIGN\Data\storm.shx is a shape file, not a text
    font file.

Do you have any textstyles in this drawing in which the font assigned to that style is named "storm.shx"? If so, it sounds like AutoCAD is finding a "shape file" named "storm.shx" before it finds the font file with the same name.

Either delete, move or rename the "storm.shx" shape file, then try again.

You should be able to find it easily with the lisp statement
    Code:
    (findfile "storm.shx")
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

There are no textstyles in the drawing named "storm.shx" but there should be a "shape file" named "storm.shx". We have two projects very similar that we are working simultaneously, each under different file folders, and both contain the "storm.shx" linetype. CAD operators get a dialog box looking for the storm.shx shape file on occasion because it has recently been moved into another folder in the same directory and when they do, they pick and add the "storm.shx" file from the other project instead of the correct project. I am looking for a way to change the mapping of the "storm.shx" file from the wrong folder and project to the correct folder and project when they do. I have moved the "storm.shx" file in the other project because that is the project this drawing is questioning and that seemed to fix the problem, but it will mess up the files in the project where the "storm.shx" was moved.

Login to Give a bone

<SNIP>
    Hi

Just checking here...

What version of AutoCAD are you actually using ?

Have you looked into making use of Reference Manager ( assuming you are using AutoCAD 2004 or higher OR were an AutoCAD 2002 subscription customer ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

There are no textstyles in the drawing named "storm.shx" but there should be a "shape file" named "storm.shx". We have two projects very similar that we are working simultaneously, each under different file folders, and both contain the "storm.shx" linetype. CAD operators get a dialog box looking for the storm.shx shape file on occasion because it has recently been moved into another folder in the same directory and when they do, they pick and add the "storm.shx" file from the other project instead of the correct project. I am looking for a way to change the mapping of the "storm.shx" file from the wrong folder and project to the correct folder and project when they do. I have moved the "storm.shx" file in the other project because that is the project this drawing is questioning and that seemed to fix the problem, but it will mess up the files in the project where the "storm.shx" was moved.
    Let's clarify.
    1. I asked if you had any textstyles that use storm.shx, not a textstyle named storm.shx. Maybe we are talking about the same thing, maybe we are not.

2. When you said "contain the "storm.shx" linetype", do you mean that you have complex linetypes that reference the storm.shx. There is no such thing as a "storm.shx" linetype (unless you purposly create one named that, and if so that doesn't mean it uses that shape file)

3. It sounds like you have some hardcoded paths to your shape files embedded in the drawing. If this shape was loaded by loading a linetype, no path should be attached to it. Did someone run the LOAD command and attach this shape file at some point? As Mike suggested, use the Reference Manager to delete the paths. If for some reason you can't do this, check out the lisp file linked in this page [ http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2006/0...hape-file.html ] - it will at least tell you if the shape file has a hardcoded path.

Good luck.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies,
    I am using AutoCAD 2004 and the storm.shx linetype was created in house but has been working without problems until the storm.shx file was moved into another folder under the same project folder. Somebody probably used the LOAD command to attach the file so it seems that my problem stems from hardcoded paths to the shape file. I'm going to look at the Reference Manager to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks.