Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSI and ODBC

Login to Give a bone

Default CSI and ODBC

Is anybody building CSI spec numbers into their families? You may have ideas about where I am going with this (actually the possibilities are near endless). If you aren't doing it, why not? Is there some coordination nightmare that I am not seeing? What might the implications be for this?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CSI and ODBC

The only "problem" I can see with predefining CSI numbers is that they do change from time to time (and sometimes from project to project)... but, if we could identify a way to globally change them then I think it would be a good idea... though I'm not sure about the connection with ODBC yet...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Is there some coordination nightmare that I am not seeing?
    There is if you want to use CSI2004... Will update the thread regarding this during the weekend.

All AUGI, all the time christo4robin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The transition from CSI MF1995 to MF2004 was not (at least as far as I could see) rule based. I.e., there was not an easy way to have the computer process/map one category to another without substantial human intervention. I'm guessing that MF2004 will take a bit of time to catch on, but when it does it should have a similar run (8, 9, 10 years) before a change.

I am, as I go, adding in keynote identity information based on MF2004 to the families in my projects.

Login to Give a bone

Here is where I am going with this.
    I recently took a break from the Revit forums to focus on increasing my knowledge of Microsoft Access. Coming back to the construction world, I have an appreciation for the communication that these two database managers can wield.
    It came to my attention that RSMeans information can be liscenced in Microsoft (excel or access) format. Also, they have softwares out there that can link estimating data to Microsoft Project information (another contractor friendly progam). I know I sound like a salesman for Billy but there is huge potential when the "standard" cad language can speak with the "standard" programming/collaboration language.
    The catch is that Revit information needs to have a consistant, universal identifier that these other programs can recognize and know what to do with.
    That is where the MasterFormat comes in.
    I am curious as to how much these avenues are being explored by others besides me. I imagine that whoever can make such links work for them stand to benifit financially.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The catch is that Revit information needs to have a consistant, universal identifier that these other programs can recognize and know what to do with.
    That is where the MasterFormat comes in.
    I've have also being doing a lot with this and MasteFormat isn't it. CSI2004 is a step backwards IMO. There is a better way and it isn't MasterFormat....

Guy

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: CSI and ODBC

JKRAGER, I have been exploring a similar approach as you have, attempting to marry the data through MS Access. The quandry has to do with levels of granularity in how we use the data from Revit for estimating. For example, I use RS Means cost data which in CSI format will match up to some degree with the assembly codes in Revit. However yet, there are numerous inconsistencies. This can be fixed but is manually intensive but I intend to remap the data and replace the Revit codes with the means. Also using the Revit "Uniformat classifications" with the materials keynotes provides another means of data mapping but has its own set of complexities. Basically a complete overhaul of the materials definition table or text file whatever format it is. What we really need is Bi-directional" ODBC connectivity to write values back to Revit in a more data friendly manner. Revit is truly an "International" product and the needs vary around the globe. If the data model was more "database friendly, it would facilitate the unique ways in which we use the product with other systems, naming conventions, etc. This is a good thread, I will post up some screen shots of some things I have been toying with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

JKrager, forgot to ask you where I might find more info on your statement

" It came to my attention that RSMeans information can be liscenced in Microsoft (excel or access) format. Also, they have softwares out there that can link estimating data to Microsoft Project information (another contractor friendly progam). "

Login to Give a bone

Here is where that data comes from directly. I would imagine that as more people pick up the BIM systems, that more emphasis will be put into getting this data out, not just in a custom database.

http://www.rsmeans.com/consulting/customdata.asp

Also, check out this one for additional services
    http://www.rsmeans.com/consulting/index.asp

And the links to the outside vendors that are using RSMeans. Most of these can talk to ODBC or MS applications.
    http://www.rsmeans.com/demosource/index.asp

Login to Give a bone

By the way, Nice work!! I like your idea about a Bi-directional ODBC connection. Hmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast