Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall Niche

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Niche

Can't do it with a window. Or at least not with any of the tricks I know.

Login to Give a bone

Some purely hypothetical [that is, I have never done one to see if it really works or is worth the bother] suggestions:

You might be able to use a window style, turn off any unwanted components [all of them?], then attach a custom block that is positioned such that it fills part of the void. You might even try using a "thinner" wall for the infill in the block, although I do not know if that would scale properly, for different window sizes. You could also use a Mass Element for the infill block. If you set up a style for it, you could also attach a material to that style. If you had need of multiple materials, you could use multiple Mass Elements in the infill block [which may make scaling an issue].

Another approach would be to create a Multi-View Block, which has an interference block attached to cut into the partition. You could then add blocks for the different view directions to add linework and/or Mass Element[s] with materials as desired.

Login to Give a bone

You David, sometimes you amaze me. But wouldn't you have to make the Mview block somehow dynamic to go with the different sizes of windows?

I was thinking about a different option. The other other possible suggestion I could add to that is to remove the glass stop, move the glass possition to one side and make it 2" think or something and make the glass and the frame the same material as the wall.

Login to Give a bone

A custom block attached to a window can be made to scale with the opening size.

Multi-View Blocks have X-, Y- and Z- scales just like regular blocks. Depending upon the complexity of the niche and the range of sizes that would need to be accomodated, you could use the scales to adjust the size. For a simple, rectangular niche with no detailing, a "unit block" Multi-View Block could be used, and the scale factors could control the size. If there was a need for trim, or an arched top, etc, then yes, you probably would have to model each size as a unique MVB definition, as dynamic blocks cannot be used as view blocks for Multi-View Blocks.

Login to Give a bone

One is to add an opening to the wal and then insert an m-view block that I created of a niche. My m-view block was for a niche that would be an insert type wtih door casing around it. That's the way I've done it. You could also create a window style with blocks added to it. I prefer the m-view block method so that I don't have my window schedule picking it up.

Login to Give a bone

Gentlemen,

Might I suggest using a "chase" from the Design Center? (Look under "Documentation/Chases").

When you drag any of the symbols onto the drawing and click a location, a "Add MV-Block with Interference" dialog box comes up. In this dialog, you can add a label, desription, specify the size and, most importantly, select an enity (like a wall) in which to place the interference. The only tricks to this is specifying an X or Y dimension that is narrower than the wall (so it doesn't make a opening) and a Z insertion point to place the niche up within a wall; also, the chase symbol will not move along with the wall (like a window or door), so you have to use the "OBJECTANCHORATTACH" command to "lock" it into place.

An example DWG is here: WallNiche.dwg (ADT 2004 version)

I use this for niches for such things as electrical panels, or medicine cabinets.

Hope I could help!

Marv- Past AUGI President Marv Muston's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Wall Niche

Quote Originally Posted by michael.67976
    Gentlemen,

Might I suggest using a "chase" from the Design Center? (Look under "Documentation/Chases").

When you drag any of the symbols onto the drawing and click a location, a "Add MV-Block with Interference" dialog box comes up. In this dialog, you can add a label, desription, specify the size and, most importantly, select an enity (like a wall) in which to place the interference. The only tricks to this is specifying an X or Y dimension that is narrower than the wall (so it doesn't make a opening) and a Z insertion point to place the niche up within a wall; also, the chase symbol will not move along with the wall (like a window or door), so you have to use the "OBJECTANCHORATTACH" command to "lock" it into place.

An example DWG is here: WallNiche.dwg (ADT 2004 version)

I use this for niches for such things as electrical panels, or medicine cabinets.

Hope I could help!
    Michael -

I tried this in a drawing of mine and couldn't get the chase 6 to cut an opening in the wall. What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks for all the help!
    Marv

Marv- Past AUGI President Marv Muston's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Wall Niche

Oh - never mind Michael ... I forgot the interference as subtractive.

Thanks! It works pretty well!!

Marv

Login to Give a bone

You're welcome Marv!

If anyone is interested, I've posted a "how-to" article here on placing the chase entity into a wall.
    Last edited by ASpaceInTime; 2006-12-07 at 09:17 PM. Reason: change link to article

Login to Give a bone

Create a family starting with the "generic wall-based" template. Create reference planes for the boundaries of the niche, and add a "void extrusion" that is locked to the reference planes. Add dimensions and associate them with instance parameters (length, width). You can control the depth parametrically, as well, using another reference plane (in plan view). Leave the Family Category (under settings) as Generic Model and you won't have to worry with an unnecessary window tag.. Your niche will be a family that you can insert into interior walls and whose size you can control per instance. I think it will be grip editable as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast