Thread: Laptop suitable for AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 and Solid Works 2006

Login to Give a bone

Default Laptop suitable for AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 and Solid Works 2006

I'm looking for the right laptop to have no problems with running CAD. I don't feel that I know exactly what to look for. My way of thinking is, the more powerful - the better. Got my eye on the Dell XPS M1710 because of it's graphic ability (geared toward gamers) and the 17" wide screen.

Right now, I'm using AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 & Solid Works 2006 and I want a laptop that can handle all of it with no problem. Can anyone tell me if I'm looking in the right direction or is there a couple other variables I should also be looking out for while shopping.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Laptop suitable for AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 and Solid Works 2006

Quote Originally Posted by todd.mackay
    I'm looking for the right laptop to have no problems with running CAD. I don't feel that I know exactly what to look for. My way of thinking is, the more powerful - the better. Got my eye on the Dell XPS M1710 because of it's graphic ability (geared toward gamers) and the 17" wide screen.

Right now, I'm using AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 & Solid Works 2006 and I want a laptop that can handle all of it with no problem. Can anyone tell me if I'm looking in the right direction or is there a couple other variables I should also be looking out for while shopping.

Thanks
    i have the inspiron 17" with a gig of ram (cant remember the exact spec, think it's 2.7GHz) & I haven't had any problems with it, I find the wide screen handy for keeping toolbars etc out of the way. I will say that I havent really pushed it with cad too hard, the only down side is that it is a bit on the heavy side, but that depends on how much you'll be moving around.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Laptop suitable for AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 and Solid Works 2006

Main thing I'd look for in a laptop for CAD would be a dedicated graphics card (like geforce go), not integrated graphics. Then there's the usual, the more memory the better, aim for at least 1gig. Fast processor always helps, try not to get a celeron. One thing that is often overlooked is the hard drive, the faster the rotational speed of the hard drive, the better. Try to get a 7200rpm instead of a 5400 rpm drive, they cost a bit more (usually) but are worth it due to the higher transfer rates.

Post the specs of the laptop on here and you'll get plenty of advise before you buy it.

Actually, try posting it in the hardware forum instead, the mods will only move it there anyway

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

I know they are expensive, but check out www.boxxtech.com ...Goodstuff...Plus they offer the Quadro Go video cards for Moblie workstations...They are the only ones I know that offers it...

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Laptop suitable for AutoCAD 2006, Solid Edge V18 and Solid Works 2006

I'm going to move this from the cad management forum, as I believe it will be better served here. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by todd.mackay

Thanks
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost