See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Please comment on a memo sent round, highlighting company CAD standards

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Please comment on a memo sent round, highlighting company CAD standards

I just read this through...

You said originally that this guy was an IT guy...wow, talk about over reaching...CAD nazi indeed. Tell him to stick to what he's good at...certainly not developing standards for CAD Deliverables. Astounding.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Please comment on a memo sent round, highlighting company CAD standards

Theres two options available to you in this either get him relinquished of his CAD responsibilities or Leave.

I've heard some backward thinking ideas before but nothing like this. Its like Acad v12 exists and we've not moved forward since then.

Reading about the Dtext and polyline leaders makes me want to lie down in a corner. You'd best not mention to him about multileaders and annotative text then. He needs to get into the 21st century and quick.

I have known people like him and believe me, once found out, they don't last long.

Login to Give a bone

I deal with a wide variety of CAD department configurations when I work with subconsultants on a lot of my projects. I've seen some pretty backwards CAD standards but this has to top the list.

Anyone who still wants Dtext to be used should either attend some type of training on the newer versions of AutoCAD or they should step aside.

The amount of efficiency tools that have been added to AutoCAD since the 2000 release would number in the dozens. From the perspective of your companies management, this person is costing your company a significant amount of work-hours per year. That's money coming out of everybody's pockets.

One of the first rules of CAD management is to stay with the current technology or stay out of the way.

It may be easy for him to justify that change would cost money, but how much is not changing costing your company?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

MText is truly the only way to go for ease of editting and manipulation.

Some of those things listed are scary wrong.

Any update on how it is going?

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
    I think i have open up a can of worms were i work.

A month or so i go i spoke with the I.T. guy who sets the Cad Standards well should do but doesn't set anything really.

I think because i told him how my previous company worked to a very good Standard he didn't like that and this morning set around a Memo and a copy of the Standards which i have never seen until now.

Please read the following Memo and give me your points as i want to give him reason why i believe some points he is making to need to looking into. I just feeling that its his way and nobody is changing it.

Memo

We have recently welcomed new staff to the Company and feel we all need to review our procedures to bring them in line with the QA Manual and CAD Standards.

Please review the following points and adopt where applicable:

• Text font style, height and width to comply with company standard.
    • D Text to be used as a company standard, M Text not to be used.
    • Lower left justification to be used unless required for text setout.
    • Dimension to be set to company standard, in said dim layer, text to be ‘Romans’, text height 2.5mm, with oblique arrow heads, as set out in standard company templates.
    • Arrows to be drawn polyline and not leader dimensions, the size of which relative to text height.
    • Gridlines to be drawn in the grid layer using Polylines, grids to have node points at all intersections.
    • X-ref’s only to be used for drawing frames, unless approved. This resolves binding issues when e-mailing drawings.
    • Group is not a company standard and will not be used.
    • Layers to be kept to a minimum, added layers should only be introduced if needed, each object does not require its own layer!
    • Drawing number system to be followed at all times, see attached sheet.

Please review all company standards regarding the initial setout of drawings and scaling systems.

Please sign below after reading. If you have any questions or queries, please speak to Simon or Brendon.

Regards

Management

All your comments would be good grateful so i can put them back to him.

Cheers

Gareth
    Here is my comment. He clearly doesn't know enough about the use of CAD to be in charge of it. However, I would discipline you or fire you for posting an internal document on the web. This is not professional behaviour; you are posting this for all to see and you are not dealing with this in a more direct, constructive manner. And for future reference, no one likes a new guy to come in and tell those in charge "that's not they do it over there". When you start in a new company you first learn how things are done there and why, this takes months not weeks or days. During this time you establish yourself as someone that works hard to learn the new "standards". Later after you have aquired some credibility then you can start slowly suggesting changes. An organization is like a large ship, it takes a while to steer it in another direction.
    Last edited by Richard.Kent; 2008-07-12 at 04:32 AM. Reason: wrong your

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345