See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fields between Layout Tabs

Login to Give a bone

Default Fields between Layout Tabs

Basically I want to link a piece of text in one layout tab to a table in another layout tab. Is there a way to do this? It's probably simple, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks for your help!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fields between Layout Tabs

Hi "jbell.105232" ( Sorry, I do not know your real name )

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Simple answer, yes it can be done... depending on exactly what you wish to link between Layouts.

Please post an example drawing file that contains the Objects you would like to link between Layouts, we can then take a look ( and hopefully offer a solution ).

Have a good one, Mike

Marv- Past AUGI President Marv Muston's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Fields between Layout Tabs

Hi Mike!
    I would like that also! I would like to link the index list of drawing numbers to each sheets drawing number so that when you change one ot the other they update.
    Attached is my drawing so you'll see what I mean.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

Marv
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Simple answer, yes it can be done... depending on exactly what you wish to link between Layouts.

Please post an example drawing file that contains the Objects you would like to link between Layouts, we can then take a look ( and hopefully offer a solution ).

Have a good one, Mike

Basically, in one drawing I have a leader with a number or point ID & I would like to link each point ID to a separate cell in a table that I have set up in another layout tab.

Attached is the drawing file. (I've taken out all the xref's so it just shows the basic idea of what I need)

Thanks,
    James D. Bell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marvcad
    I would like that also! I would like to link the index list of drawing numbers to each sheets drawing number so that when you change one ot the other they update.
    Attached is my drawing so you'll see what I mean.
    Hi

The functionality you are asking for, is slightly different than the original post, above ( RE: Fields between Layout Tabs ).

You are looking for something like bi-directional updating Fields.

For your particular requirement, I would suggest setting-up Fields in your Title Block, then look at combining them with the power of Sheet Sets and Shee List Tables.

The following should prove helpful...

Automating textual data using fields!

Sheets Happen! Step 3: Accessing your sheets

Plus I have attached a sample drawing file ( purely as a very simple exercise ), that links "Sheet" number on each Layout tab to the "Sheet" number found in the "Index of Drawings". Please note, what I have very simply shown is not bi-directional updating Fields.

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-05-22 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Doh! added missing link.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Fields between Layout Tabs

Quote Originally Posted by jbell.105232
    Basically, in one drawing I have a leader with a number or point ID & I would like to link each point ID to a separate cell in a table that I have set up in another layout tab.

Attached is the drawing file. (I've taken out all the xref's so it just shows the basic idea of what I need)
    Hi

Take a look at the attached sample drawing file... is it the kind of thing you are after ie

Update the "Point ID" on Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement" will cause the relevant Table Cell on Layout tab "Northings-Eastings" to automatically update ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Fields between Layout Tabs

Hi

Take a look at the attached sample drawing file... is it the kind of thing you are after ie

Update the "Point ID" on Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement" will cause the relevant Table Cell on Layout tab "Northings-Eastings" to automatically update ?

Have a good one, Mike

Mike,
    This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. However, I know how to create an attribute & I know how to insert fields. What I need to know how to do is how did you link the "Field" in the one layout tab to the "Attribute" in the other? When I am in the Field Dialog Box, under the object type, I don't get the "Block Reference" in my drawing like I do in the one you sent back to me. My brain is frazzled right now. Once I get it I'll probably kick myself. Thanks for any help you have given me already & thanks for any more help on this.

James D. Bell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jbell.105232
    <SNIP> What I need to know how to do is how did you link the "Field" in the one layout tab to the "Attribute" in the other? When I am in the Field Dialog Box, under the object type, I don't get the "Block Reference" in my drawing like I do in the one you sent back to me. <SNIP>
    Hi

Ok! here is a sketchy outline of what I did...

* Created a Block "Point_ID" with one Attribute attached.

* Inserted Block "Point_ID" into Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement".

* _.Field command -> "Field Category:" All -> "Field Names:" Object -> "Object Type:" Select Object ( Select inserted Block "Point_ID" ) -> "Property:" POINT_ID -> Copy "Field Expression:" content eg %<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId 2130165984>%).TextString>% -> Click "Cancel" button.

* Switch to Layout tab "Northings-Eastings".

* Highlight Table Cell you would like to link with Block "Point_ID" on Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement".

* Paste %<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId 2130165984>%).TextString>% into the highlighted Table Cell.

* Table Cell should now display as a Field with the contents of the Attribute Value from Block "Point_ID" showing.

* Switch back to Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement".

* Change the Attribute Value of Block "Point_ID" -> _.EAttEdit or _.AttEdit or...

* Switch back to Layout tab "Northings-Eastings".

* Table Cell should now be showing new Attribute Value from Block "Point_ID" on Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement" .

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Ok! here is a sketchy outline of what I did...

* Created a Block "Point_ID" with one Attribute attached.

* Inserted Block "Point_ID" into Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement".

* _.Field command -> "Field Category:" All -> "Field Names:" Object -> "Object Type:" Select Object ( Select inserted Block "Point_ID" ) -> "Property:" POINT_ID -> Copy "Field Expression:" content eg %<AcObjProp Object(%<_ObjId 2130165984>%).TextString>% -> Click "Cancel" button.

* Switch to Layout tab "Northings-Eastings".

* Highlight Table Cell you would like to link with Block "Point_ID" on Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement".

* Paste %<AcObjProp Object(%<_ObjId 2130165984>%).TextString>% into the highlighted Table Cell.

* Table Cell should now display as a Field with the contents of the Attribute Value from Block "Point_ID" showing.

* Switch back to Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement".

* Change the Attribute Value of Block "Point_ID" -> _.EAttEdit or _.AttEdit or...

* Switch back to Layout tab "Northings-Eastings".

* Table Cell should now be showing new Attribute Value from Block "Point_ID" on Layout tab "Right-of-Way & Easement" .

Have a good one, Mike

That worked Mike, thanks a million!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast