Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Referencing

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Back Referencing

When you pull a section from the model by using a section mark (A2T), place the view in a drawing, then on a sheet, the callout is resolved. Works great!
    My problem is, we are required to supply back referencing to the Architectural drawings as well as back referencing where the section was pulled from.
    ADT 2006 did not include this capability as far as I can see. Still wondering why!?!?

Does anyone know of a LSP routine, a custom callout setup, or ANY way to be able to achieve this automatically? We don't want to have to do this manually; that is like going back to AutoCAD 12.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Back Referencing

Do you have an exmaple to post? I got lost with: "My problem is, we are required to supply back referencing to the Architectural drawings as well as back referencing where the section was pulled from."

Pictures speak a 1,000 words...

Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Steve,
    If I understand him correctly he'd like a title bar that give the name of the section view (which works OOTB) and then be able to place a reference on the title bar as to which sheet the section was cut on, along with a reference back to the Arch sheet. I think.
    From what I know there's not a tool ootb that will do that, but I'm thinking that you may be able to create a custom made field that might work.
    I've run into the same issue with a client standard that requires the same thing.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

"Back referencing" is one of those ancient icons, whose reasons must have sounded good at the time. I don't know why Autocad does not even offer it as a possibility, but the procedure is not supported by the National CAD Standards. Perhaps there are difficulties when a single detail or section may be referenced from multiple locations. I can remember doing work for the Army, who required such referencing, and sometimes there were over 30 drawing numbers listed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    Steve,
    If I understand him correctly he'd like a title bar that give the name of the section view (which works OOTB) and then be able to place a reference on the title bar as to which sheet the section was cut on, along with a reference back to the Arch sheet. I think.
    From what I know there's not a tool ootb that will do that, but I'm thinking that you may be able to create a custom made field that might work.
    I've run into the same issue with a client standard that requires the same thing.
    David, that is exactly what I am faced with. Whenever we do a job for the US government, we have to supply these back references 'on the title bar'. And yes, those references can get very lengthy which makes for a very long and ugly title bar. But, that is what the client wants. They seem to think that it helps coordination between all trades involved...maybe.

I say, forget the back references and lets just start with getting 'all trades' using the same ACAD version. Enough of the BIM using sticks-n-stones.

We are also using DataCAD, which we have programmed to achieve this back ref thing. It simply writes the reference, each time one is created, to a .txt file. When the title bar/callout is placed, it reads that txt file and fills in the field. Updates to those fields are automatic too.
    Unfortunately, the person responsible for that fine coding does not know AutoCAD, so we have no programmer!!
    Anyone looking for a programmer job?! Seriously?

Anyway, thanks for the input. Maybe someone will come across a routine to solve this.

Login to Give a bone

If you are serious about looking for a programer you may want to think about using the Job Offers forum.

Thanks
    Dave P
    ADT/ABS Moderator.

Login to Give a bone

we are having similar cases - all government work - where the "back referencing" is required. has anyone come up with any solutions? is it possible to make a custom field??
    thanks in advance,
    jamie
    Jamie Casile
    CAD/BIM Manager
    Pacific CADD Services, Inc.
    ...My Lomography Page...

Login to Give a bone

As far as I know it's still not possible.
    We just take the approach (and tell the client) that back referencing will be done for the stamped set, but you won't see them until that point. It's a very time consuming process and I'm sure that there's someone out there good enough at XML to be able to do it, but I haven't heard anything on it yet.
    While it may not be part of the NCS, I've had to do it for just about every project I've worked on. Some are Gov projects but most were Client driven. I'm still not sure why good it dose someone. You should be getting the details from the plans, not the plans from the details. It's the old cart before the horse thing.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I understand that all government agencies have adopted the National CAD Standards. If that is true, then if you are still being required to incorporate back references it is a personal preference not supported by the larger organization.

Some of our people who attended AU discussed with others issues such as supporting client-spcecific standards that do not meet office standards. The concensus was that most firms increase fees to incorporate client standards. This concurs with my opinion that clients cannot dictate HOW we perform our work unless they are willing to pay for it.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bradlyferrell View Post
    When you pull a section from the model by using a section mark (A2T), place the view in a drawing, then on a sheet, the callout is resolved. Works great!
    My problem is, we are required to supply back referencing to the Architectural drawings as well as back referencing where the section was pulled from.
    ADT 2006 did not include this capability as far as I can see. Still wondering why!?!?

Does anyone know of a LSP routine, a custom callout setup, or ANY way to be able to achieve this automatically? We don't want to have to do this manually; that is like going back to AutoCAD 12.
    15 Years later, has there been any solution for this? I need to do the same thing.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast