See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Simple EDM Software Replacement

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Looking for Simple EDM Software Replacement

I am the lone draftsman at my company of 16 employees. I currently use a product called Workflow from an outfit named Cyco. I love this software. It is a simple file management system that allows you to link the attributes in the title block to the corresponding "card" in Workflow. The main screen shows your directory structure on the left, and the "card" (with all of the information from the titleblock), along with a viewing window of the drawing. What is great about this is the search capability. You can search for drawing s by whatever attribute(s) you want. The best part of this software is that it is not a "vault" type database that gets its hooks into your files - you simply are looking at and searching through your original files in their original locations in your directories. When You find the drawing you need, you hit the AutoCAD button and it fires up AutoCAD and loads that drawing. It truly is simple and terrific. The bad news is it has been discontinued and replaced by software called Teamwork - very similar to Vault or Meridian. These EDMs are overkill for my needs - however - I can't seem to find a simple replacement. Can anyone out there please help with suggestions. It needs to be able to view and search AutoCAD and Inventor files. Thanks for any help.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Looking for Simple EDM Software Replacement

Hi

What version of AutoCAD are you using ?

Are you on subscription ?

I only ask the above two questions, because if the answers are AutoCAD 2007 and Yes, you have access to Autodesk Vault.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking for Simple EDM Software Replacement

Mike, thanks for responding. Yes I have a subscription, but the problem is two fold; 1) my current software (Workflow) was discontinued at AutoCAD 2002, and can't read Inventor at all; and 2) my current computer can not handle the demands of Inventor. I'm in the process of ordering a new computer, and I want to start using my 2007 and Inventor 11, but I have to change EDMs in the process, and Vault (and similar products) are way too complicated for my needs. I realize that with with Inventor's file system I may not have much of a choice but to go with Vault, but I thought I'd ask if anyone new of a more simple solution... Thanks again, Andy

Login to Give a bone

Hi

The main reason for asking my initial questions...

Autodesk Vault comes free with Inventor.
    Autodesk Vault comes free with AutoCAD 2007 ( if on subscription ).

Therefore you have access to a free software package...

Ok! it does more than you require, but...

* You already have access to it, for free ( no need to purchase additional software ).
    * As it is written by Autodesk it should integrate very nicely with Autodesk product design software.

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As mentioned - vault may be a good solution.

The process of implementing vault is one of gradual migration with your existing drawing data and simply an integral workflow for all new drawings created. It may be overkill for the majority of your immediate requirements but at least the functionality is there if you ever have cause to use it.

I was actually trying to get my company to move to vault - because they are stuck in a never ending cycle of requiring continuous support for the Cyco Meridian product they are currently using.

Good luck with your EDM and let us know what you decide to do.

Login to Give a bone

Vault, and others like it may be above your needs now. But if you are going to IV, it is imperative that you have a system that can keep track of each version of each part in an assembly. Vault will definitely not be more than you need. Vault and other 2nd gen dms's do not 'get their hooks' into files, they merely place them on a server where the average user does not have access to them. This is key if you value your files. On a network drive, anyone can move, copy, or even worse, delete files. A vault is placed on a hidden share and ftp is used by the main program to deliver the file to the user upon checkout. As free program, Vault is ok. I wouldn't discount it so easily. You may also want to look at Adept. It comes with the AutoVue viewer for those in your company that don't have cad, and it has true workflow. Its cheaper than Teamwork and is customizable. There is another free dms that I have not checked into. It is called Columbus.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Just curious, is Vault on the DVD that came with 2007 or on the subscription site? Does it only work with 2007? We have ADT 2007 and subscription but have not implemented it yet.

Login to Give a bone

Vault is on its one media. It has always come with the mechanical solutions, IV and MDT. But it is now available to all subscribers. It didn't automatically come with my ABS, so evidently you have to request it separately. If you want to use a 2007 product, you should use the latest Vault. Vault 2007 should work with previous versions of acad.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Looking for Simple EDM Software Replacement

Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2006-06-08 at 07:59 PM. Reason: removed advertising

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe
    Vault is on its one media. It has always come with the mechanical solutions, IV and MDT. But it is now available to all subscribers. It didn't automatically come with my ABS, so evidently you have to request it separately. If you want to use a 2007 product, you should use the latest Vault. Vault 2007 should work with previous versions of acad.
    You can download it from the subscription services on AutoCAD.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast