See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD 2007 - Set DWG to Save As 2000 format, does not affect Blocks and Templates

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2007 - Set DWG to Save As 2000 format, does not affect Blocks and Templates

I just realized that even though I have the file type set to Acad 2000, that doesn't account for blocks and templates. I have users that cannot use the block libraries and/or any of the created drawing templates. They keep getting invalid drawing errors.

This is madness I tell you. Complete madness! My fix is to make sure I make all of my
    templates and blocks with a prior version of AutoCad.

I could stop if I wanted to lmitsou's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 - Set DWG to Save As 2000 format, does not affect Blocks and Templates

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    I just realized that even though I have the file type set to Acad 2000, that doesn't account for blocks and templates. I have users that cannot use the block libraries and/or any of the created drawing templates. They keep getting invalid drawing errors.

This is madness I tell you. Complete madness! My fix is to make sure I make all of my
    templates and blocks with a prior version of AutoCad.
    Welcome to the club! This is one of the reasons I kept AutoCAD 2006 in my computer.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 - Set DWG to Save As 2000 format, does not affect Blocks and Templates

Yes! Another member. We can be like the superfriends. Grrrrrrr!!!

Login to Give a bone

...Grrrrrrr!!!
    Say that again!!!

Login to Give a bone

Interesting. Have you seen this?
    http://jtbworld.blogspot.com/2006/04...-to-older.html
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    Thats very interesting but also strange. I have seen this warning message but only when I open with AutoCAD 2007 drawings with blocks that were created with previous releases of the program. So actually I have seen it but the other way round! Maybe I will need to look into that and see what's happening there.

However, that was a good link with interesting info. Good one R.K.!!!

Login to Give a bone

If you have your Save as default set to 2004, blocks seem to work fine (saved in 2004 format). If you set it to 2000 or R14, however, the blocks are created in 2007 format but only if you change the default name of "new block". As the link to JTB World above shows, if you except the default name it will be saved in the desired format.

As far as templates go I don't believe there has ever been an option to save a template in an older version. The easy away around that is to save the drawing in the desired version then change the file extension to "dwt".

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    If you have your Save as default set to 2004, blocks seem to work fine (saved in 2004 format). If you set it to 2000 or R14, however, the blocks are created in 2007 format but only if you change the default name of "new block". As the link to JTB World above shows, if you except the default name it will be saved in the desired format.

As far as templates go I don't believe there has ever been an option to save a template in an older version. The easy away around that is to save the drawing in the desired version then change the file extension to "dwt".
    And to think that things should be easy. I follow you but only because I am somewhat
    of a computer guru. The general public is going to have a hard time understanding why
    Autodesk makes things so difficult.

Login to Give a bone

I don't think Autodesk did this on purpose. This has to be a bug.

Let me try to simplify what I said.

If you set the Save as format in options to save all drawings in the 2004 format, drawings and write blocks (wblock) will be saved in the 2004 format.

If you set the Save as format in options to save all drawings in the 2000 or R14 format, drawings will be saved in the 2000 and R14 format respectively but write blocks will be saved in the 2007 format. However, if you except the default name "new block" when creating a write block the new drawing will be in the specified format.

To save a template in an older format save it as a drawing in the desired format then rename the file to have a "dwt" extension.
    Last edited by jpaulsen; 2006-05-31 at 03:00 PM.

Login to Give a bone

It looks like they have tried and only partly suceeded in correcting the previous condition where only the straight-forward SAVE command honoured the user's choice of file format.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast