Thread: Using Detail Component Manager in AutoCAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Using Detail Component Manager in AutoCAD

Does anyone know how to use the Detail Component Manager from ADT when using the "ADT as AutoCAD" option?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Using Detail Component Manager in AutoCAD

Quote Originally Posted by david.6444
    Does anyone know how to use the Detail Component Manager from ADT when using the "ADT as AutoCAD" option?
    I don't beleive it possible as you get a different set of tool palettes for Acad than ADT, along with other object enablers etc.
    Out of interest why would you want to run ADT as plain Acad?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using Detail Component Manager in AutoCAD

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    I don't beleive it possible as you get a different set of tool palettes for Acad than ADT, along with other object enablers etc.
    We are set up using the ADT option but we draw everything in 2D. We only use ceiling grid tools and some of us use the detial componet manager. Myself probably the heaviest user DCM. teh DCM is a very powerful tool and I love it.

Out of interest why would you want to run ADT as plain Acad?
    Simply because the the time to configure it to our expect ions of what the final print should be. We dont like the how it prints out using the AIA plot styles. Plus we have a lot of stick in the Muds we have purchase ADT since 3.3 Sad I know.

I think all the other tools walls, stairs and what not can slowly be overcome and learned is we got the plotting problem out of the way. The other issue is we never have a simple projects to start out with. 50% of our work is renovation and half the remainder is picking up the pieces from screwed up jobs.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I agree that getting the final plot to look correct is an absolute must early on. Firstly you have the choice of using ctb's or stb's, we use ctb's (I find them easier to use).

Its quite easy to set up your own plot styles to achieve the required plot results, we basically use all the ootb colours/layers (the UK version though) so for example A-Wall-G is on colour 50, doors are on a green (I forget the actual colour) etc. We then created our own ploy styles for 1:50 scale plans, 1:100 scale plans etc... you get the idea.

Anyway what I mean is its easy enough to set up and you only have to do it once, it just seems a shame to have ADT and not use it, you don't have to use everything (most people don't) but I certainly wouldn't let the plotting hold you back.

Just my 2p's worth.

If you are having problems setting up your own plot styles then let me know and I can give you a hand, with a bit of organisation it really is quite straight forward.

Login to Give a bone

I agree that getting the final plot to look correct is an absolute must early on. Firstly you have the choice of using ctb's or stb's, we use ctb's (I find them easier to use).
    We use ctbs here also so I would like to stick with that process.

Its quite easy to set up your own plot styles to achieve the required plot results, we basically use all the ootb colours/layers (the UK version though) so for example A-Wall-G is on colour 50, doors are on a green (I forget the actual colour) etc.
    okay I can do that.
    We then created our own ploy styles for 1:50 scale plans, 1:100 scale plans etc... you get the idea.
    Intersting point that I did not thougt. So I ould be using 2 different CTBs in a project. I thought (small thought) that ADT was smart enough to do this. For example We use a sperate layer to indicate framing of a wall and separete layer for the face of gwb. The current project I am on has an scale of 1/16"=1'-0" for overall floor plans. I freeze that framing layer in the over all plans bu thaw that enlarge plans. With ADT walls how do I control that? Sometimes the enlarged plan is on the same sheet as the overall.

The second thing comes to mind is the whole display thing. (right click display of object) There is different settings of colors for that particular object base upon how you are looking at it. above cut line, elevation, etc etc. (I might be trying to jump ahead here please tell if I am.)
    ..... it just seems a shame to have ADT and not use it, .....
    I could not agree more. something that has been making me itch for a long time.

If you are having problems setting up your own plot styles then let me know and I can give you a hand, with a bit of organisation it really is quite straight forward.
    The only thing I would like to know that would help expedite creating the CTB; is there a way to get ADT to spit out the layers and their associated settings?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tkrush
    Intersting point that I did not thougt. So I ould be using 2 different CTBs in a project. I thought (small thought) that ADT was smart enough to do this. For example We use a sperate layer to indicate framing of a wall and separete layer for the face of gwb. The current project I am on has an scale of 1/16"=1'-0" for overall floor plans. I freeze that framing layer in the over all plans bu thaw that enlarge plans. With ADT walls how do I control that? Sometimes the enlarged plan is on the same sheet as the overall.
    Okay. This is where it can start getting a bit more complex. You can't use more than one ctb file in a single drawing (this is actually on the wish list I believe). But ADT has the display configurations which you can assign by viewport, so for example a cavity wall can show all elements hatching etc in one viewport using say the detail medium, in another viewport the same wall could be a single solid hatch say in the presentation setting (see the attached drawing as an example).

The second thing comes to mind is the whole display thing. (right click display of object) There is different settings of colors for that particular object base upon how you are looking at it. above cut line, elevation, etc etc. (I might be trying to jump ahead here please tell if I am.)
    I could not agree more. something that has been making me itch for a long time.
    Aaaaah... the whole display thingy! Daunting isn't it? Well to be honest once you get a handle on it its not so bad, it kind of needs to be as complicated as it is to allow you to do all the things you will inevitably want to do.

These AU handouts may be of use:

http://www.augi.com/education/auhand...004/BD21-4.pdf
    http://www.augi.com/education/auhand...004/BD22-2.pdf

The only thing I would like to know that would help expedite creating the CTB; is there a way to get ADT to spit out the layers and their associated settings?
    Hmmm... again this is a wish list item. But in the mean time, ensure that you have assigned a layer key to a drawing (through page setup), then on the format dropdown menu select layer manager, then layer key styles and finally select your chosen layer key (AIA or BS1192 chosen through drawing setup), this gives you a table of all the layers/colours associated with that layer key. In order to print them out you will need to do the print screen trick (a boring I know but it does the job).

Also I would seriously think about browsing through the AU handouts and ATP courses, I personally have learnt alot from them.

(All of the above is in ADT 2006 but is virtually the same in 2007)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

In order to print them out you will need to do the print screen trick (a boring I know but it does the job)
    Another option would be to copy the layer keys and paste them into a spreadsheet program, such as Excel, as described here.