See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lt Enhancement

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Lt Enhancement

Anybody out there see a market for an in-between product to full Autocad where you would start with base LT & buy the add-on features you want eg. 3d module, VBA, Lisp etc.

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Lt Enhancement

Yes,

And there are products out there that do add functionality to LT to bring it to almost full AutoCAD including LISP. Autodesk has been busy taking a few of them to court, so I won't mention their names here. They do advertise in Cadalyst and I'm sure a Google search would bring them up.

Login to Give a bone

I know all about the products & legal action - just want to see if it is worthwhile trying to push Autodesk down this road - I have their ear when it comes to LT.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've been periodically posting exactly this wish to the wish lists hosted by AUGI for several years. There's a lot of stuff in AutoCAD that we never use, like 3D rendering, solid modeling, database connectivity, etc. Yet we still have to buy the full product just to get the stuff we do use that's not included in the LT product, namely, LISP and ARX.

In fact, IMHO, without at least the LISP interpreter, AutoCAD is severely crippled because we've had to resort to a LISP file to set all the dimension variables properly in order to get predictable, consistent results when dimensioning. Of course LISP is also useful in other situations where you want to automate some repetitive task.

So yes, I think there would be a market for an "in-betwen" product.

Michael Evans
    Togawa & Smith, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Lt Enhancement

Thanks for the Input Michael. I recently ran a poll on the Autocad Forum & the largest percentage of Autocad users use the basic package & lisp which would reinforce your opinion.

Login to Give a bone

I know I could really use a program that would allow me to use the features that you find in the full version of AutoCad. I am in a very unusual position where I have to use the full version for Civil drawings and LT for Electrical drawings. Guess which one is easier to work with.

Login to Give a bone

I can sympathize. For years I worked for a Relocatable Modular Manufacturer, and did a lot of menu-level customization to mimic with our AutoCAD LT what the competition was doing up the road with the full version of AutoCAD, with LSPs (in terms of automation). I did notice that it seems that LT gets some of the neat features a few years before AutoCAD does (such as the ARRAY dialog box), or am I mistaken?
    We used to beat their pants off in competition by the way...and with less than half of the drafting staff!

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Lt Enhancement

Quote Originally Posted by mandrews
    just want to see if it is worthwhile trying to push Autodesk down this road - I have their ear when it comes to LT.
    How's this for an answer - Please, PLEASE, for the love of all things AutoCAD, make LT support LISP!! We are down to only two full versions of A2K4 - and everyone who has LT would forever shut up if it would just support LISP routines. Please Autodesk, help me regain this one small shred of sanity by giving them their LISPs back!
    I drink coffee for your protection.

Windows 7 | AutoCAD 2017 | Revit 2017

Login to Give a bone

You can test macrocad software by LT-Solution.
    A trial version of the product is available at their website:
    www.lt-solutions.com

Login to Give a bone

I agree strongly with the general opinion that ACAD should offer a few grades. I'm learning that I want to do more with the software - specifically LISP - and I although it would be extrememly useful, I can't justify the cost increase for just that one piece of the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast