See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close, relinquish, no save to central

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Close, relinquish, no save to central

I am sure I am just brain farting here, but for the life of me I can't figure this out.
    I have a work setted model, with local copies for the two team members, plus the conference room. During a meeting in the conference room, we open the local, fly around, grab stuff to talk about it, etc. When done with the meeting, we want to close the local copy, relinquish everything, and NOT save to Central. As I read the options, you just can't.
    Am I nuts? Am I (hopefully) missing something obvious? Do you detach from Central in this case? And what if you forget. Is there anyway to get the stuff that the conference room machine "owns" back to available?

Thanks,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Close, relinquish, no save to central

You should detach from central in this case. What you can do now, is just close your file and don't save, then you will need to make a new local with the same user who now owns the stuff, and then have that new file stc to give back the worksets without the changes.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown
    You should detach from central in this case. What you can do now, is just close your file and don't save, then you will need to make a new local with the same user who now owns the stuff, and then have that new file stc to give back the worksets without the changes.
    What I don't understand is the need for Save to Central. I want to close, not save, and generally act like I never opened anything. Is there simply no "Close without saving"? In any case, I will forward your suggestion on to the team.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can choose to Not Relinquish and then choose to not save your local file...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    You can choose to Not Relinquish and then choose to not save your local file...
    But I want TO Relinquish and NOT save. If I don't relinquish then certain items are still checked out to me, even though I didn't save. Seems like perhaps a wishlist item, to eliminate the need to detach from central. We seem to run into the need for a Relinquish, close and don't save quite often.

Best,
    Gordon

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you made a change -- changed a view from hidden line to shading, etc. -- you have borrowed something, and that borrowing process can't be undone, so you really do have to save to central. That's why detach from central is probably your best bet, unless there's the possibility that you may want to preserve your actions during the session.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    If you made a change -- changed a view from hidden line to shading, etc. -- you have borrowed something, and that borrowing process can't be undone, so you really do have to save to central. That's why detach from central is probably your best bet, unless there's the possibility that you may want to preserve your actions during the session.
    Yes, seems to be the case here. Am I nuts in thinking it would be nice to be able to open the model, shade a view on a random day, show it to the client, then close with no changes and relinquish? Such a basic thing that seems to be such a pain to do. Wishlist item in my book.

Best,
    Gordon

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gordon.price
    ...Am I nuts in thinking it would be nice to be able to open the model, shade a view on a random day, show it to the client, then close with no changes and relinquish? ...
    Sorry...being redundant...but that is WHY they made Detach From Central (among other reasons) If you really want to mess around in the project without the prospect of really saving or changing anything then use Detach From Central.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    Sorry...being redundant...but that is WHY they made Detach From Central (among other reasons) If you really want to mess around in the project without the prospect of really saving or changing anything then use Detach From Central.
    By why not just have a Relinquish and don't save? Detach from central requires that you know ahead of time that this is what you are doing. Relinquish and don't save allows you to decide once you have the file open.
    Example. My co-worker comes over and comments on the shadows in elevation. So I demo for him a couple of features, using the real project I am working on because an in context demo is always better. Now I have "changed" the model, and I didn't think I would when I opened. So I have to not relinquish and not save. Detach from central and delete local. Recreate local then relinquish and STC. All to do what the standard Windows Close without Save could do. But now it's Close, Relinquish and don't Save (local or Central). Basically I am looking for "act like this session never happened."

All wishlist, and now that I understand that you simply cannot relinquish without saving, I think we will mutter and muddle on, and not have too many problems. Just wishing for a more graceful and flexible solution.

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

I think the problem with relinquishing without saving is that it's a database and as soon as you change anything, Central knows it.

I thought you could just Undo all the way back and then close without saving, but that still makes you save local, however it does avoid the STC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast