See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Close, relinquish, no save to central

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Close, relinquish, no save to central

I am sure I am just brain farting here, but for the life of me I can't figure this out.
    I have a work setted model, with local copies for the two team members, plus the conference room. During a meeting in the conference room, we open the local, fly around, grab stuff to talk about it, etc. When done with the meeting, we want to close the local copy, relinquish everything, and NOT save to Central. As I read the options, you just can't.
    Am I nuts? Am I (hopefully) missing something obvious? Do you detach from Central in this case? And what if you forget. Is there anyway to get the stuff that the conference room machine "owns" back to available?

Thanks,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Close, relinquish, no save to central

You should detach from central in this case. What you can do now, is just close your file and don't save, then you will need to make a new local with the same user who now owns the stuff, and then have that new file stc to give back the worksets without the changes.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown
    You should detach from central in this case. What you can do now, is just close your file and don't save, then you will need to make a new local with the same user who now owns the stuff, and then have that new file stc to give back the worksets without the changes.
    What I don't understand is the need for Save to Central. I want to close, not save, and generally act like I never opened anything. Is there simply no "Close without saving"? In any case, I will forward your suggestion on to the team.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can choose to Not Relinquish and then choose to not save your local file...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    You can choose to Not Relinquish and then choose to not save your local file...
    But I want TO Relinquish and NOT save. If I don't relinquish then certain items are still checked out to me, even though I didn't save. Seems like perhaps a wishlist item, to eliminate the need to detach from central. We seem to run into the need for a Relinquish, close and don't save quite often.

Best,
    Gordon

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you made a change -- changed a view from hidden line to shading, etc. -- you have borrowed something, and that borrowing process can't be undone, so you really do have to save to central. That's why detach from central is probably your best bet, unless there's the possibility that you may want to preserve your actions during the session.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown
    No need to make a new local copy and save to central. Instead, after closing the file without saving, open the central file and relinquish everything there.

Login to Give a bone

Has there been any new developments on this front in the last year? I have a bunch of new Revit users and they are continually coming up to me and asking how to close without saving after they have begun playing with a current file (without the detach from central, of course).
    I end up making a duplicate central file for them and repathing their local to it to play with after the fact but every other drafting program in the world can accommodate a close without saving.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Not sure if this helps, and I'm not sure if I understand it myself, but from an authorized Autodesk training manual...
    "Updating the Changes:
    ...If you want to undo the changes that you have saved to the Central Location file, you change the editable state of your workset to No. Then, you select the Lose Changes option.
    [Once you select Lose Changes, you cannot undo this option.]"

That's all it says, I haven't tried it yet.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree that there needs to be a way to do this but the way worksharing and element borrowing is set up this is the way it is.
    That said, the simplest solution is to insist that everyone who wants to 'play' with a workset project needs to be sure to open it with 'detach from central' checked in the file open dialogue.
    This is the only way to eliminate the possibility of some elements ending up 'in the wrong hands'