See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shortcuts/cheat-sheet?

I could stop if I wanted to Mike Hardy-Brown's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shortcuts/cheat-sheet?

Have you had a look at digital building solutions
    There is a Revit shortcut highway pgm. VERY COOL!!!

Login to Give a bone

With an object selected:
    -type VH to turn that category off (same as going to visibility graphics and turning it off)
    -type HH to temporarily hide the object
    -type HC to temporarily hide that object's category
    -type HR to restore the tempory hide settings

Login to Give a bone

Here are a few more. Some of them might be well known to most users, but there are always some users who haven't yet figured them out:

- Arrow keys nudge selected object; Shift Arrow nudges 10 times as much.
    - When box selecting, if you drag left to right it selects only those elements entirely within the rectangle; if you drag right to left it selects elements that cross the rectangle as well.
    - Tab before selecting cycles through selection candidates. Tab while sketching cycles through possible snaps. This can be used to disable snapping in a particular case. Shift Tab cycles backwards.
    - SO disables all snaps for the next pick. Look in the snaps dialog box for other snap control keyboard tricks.
    - Tab to select a chain of lines or walls when none of them is already selected. To select only part of a chain, select a line in the chain, then mouse over another line in the chain, Tab, pick, selects the part of the chain connecting those two lines.
    - Esc key generally gets you out of the current command and back to the Modify tool (sometimes you need a few Escapes to get out several levels).
    - CS when an element is selected invokes the Create Similar command; this puts you into the appropriate tool to create an element like the selected one, and it sets up the Type to be the same as the original.
    - Typing a number while sketching a line finishes creating a line in the direction you were going with the specified length. Similar behavior for other commands such as Move -- the value typed goes into the "listening" temporary dimension (which is the one that is bold).
    - When entering a number in feet and inches, type the feet then a space then the inches -- no need to put " and '. (I didn't know this one myself for the longest time ).
    - Any time you are entering a number (such as in a temporary dimension) you can put an equal sign and then type an expression. For example, to sketch a golden rectangle with one side 10, set the other side to =10*(sqrt(5)-1)/2. Revit will calculate the expression and use that value.
    - If you are sketching many arcs or circles with the same radius, pick the Radius check box in the option bar and type the radius before sketching. This works even in the straight line tool for creating a rounded polyline.
    - Drag the witness line control on a temporary dimension to a different reference to control a different distance.
    - This one isn't keyboard related, but it's something that people often don't notice. If one or more elements are selected and you don't see any temporary dimensions, press Activate Dimensions from the option bar.

Login to Give a bone

Those are great tips; CS remains to date my favorite shortcut, and I think the most productive command too. It's funny that YOU didn't know for a long time about the feet and inches input....must have been some other neaky programmer that slipped that in eh? I personally didn't know the one you mentioned about selecting one object and then hovering over another one and tabbing to select the chain connecting the two. I just tried it out and it's cool. If you have a closed chain, it'll go the direction of which node you place your mouse.

Regarding the last tip you mentioned.....if you have a bunch of objects and only one of them is dimensioned to some other reference, you can still move them all together by editing that dimension. Just select a bunch of objects, inluding the one that has a dimension to something else, then click the Activate Dimensions button and it'll turn blue. Type in a value and all the selected objects will move together with the dimensioned one.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is great stuff. I have summarized it and am going to keep it next to my keyboard shortcuts sheet. I don't know if others will find this useful but here it is anyway.

Some of the keyboards shortcuts are missing because I didn't want any doubling up of them. I use the shortcuts developed in this discussion http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=50716
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rjcrowther; 2007-01-19 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Can't spell

Login to Give a bone

- When entering a number in feet and inches, type the feet then a space then the inches -- no need to put " and '. (I didn't know this one myself for the longest time ).

You can also go to fractions. 15' -3 1/2"
    is 15 space 3 space 1/2 space.
    But if they are simple fractions then decimal inches is even faster.
    so 15 space 3.5 space is faster.
    I guess 15'-3" is fastes at 15.25

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irwin
    Even better, type the feet then a minus sign ('-') then inches. For example, for 3'-5" type 3-5. Why is that better than using Space? Because the '-' key is on the numeric keypad. For ages I've been thinking I need a space bar on my numeric keypad. Then, reading Steve Stafford's recent post on autodesk.revitbuilding jarred by memory and reminded me you could use the minus sign instead. Thanks Steve.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I don't think this was mentioned...Ctrl+Left Arrow is previous selection set

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123