Thread: map3d and databases

Login to Give a bone

Default map3d and databases

hi all.
    I am trying to learn Autocad MAP3D and using DB. I have enough experience with GEODB(in ARCGIS) and Regular ACCESS and old school dbf tables as well as excel.

However, my training is in "traditional" GIS using ARCView/GIS and coming over from that world and going into this one is going "ok", I pretty much am self taught on Autocad and still am trying to learn new things(this site is THE BEST RESOURCE OUT THERE!).
    I'm pretty much known as the "GIS guy" and whenever we need .shp, .e00, geodb that need worked on and prepped for .dwg, I'm the guy they call. Not too mention rasters and GEOTIFFS that have to be brought on the correct coordinate system.

I am trying to put together a workflow using the DB world with the CAD world. It has been a little frustrating because I'm the only guy in the shop that is actually interested in trying to marry the two in some fashion to try and be a little more efficient. I see a lot of potential for labels(which I'm sure you know) and potential for inventories (especially drains, manhole cover etc.)

What I'm getting at is some type of paradigm or template that has some kind of skeleton I can work on. I'm prolly going to get the "Autocad Database Connectivity" book from Scott Macfarlane and really move on this.

But does anyone have anymore resources for this type of work?I have already done the tutorial in the education forum for databases(great start!) Maybe it's just a lack of imaginaton on my part, but I'm still learning here!

Thx a lot guys

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: map3d and databases

Hi RLong,
    Have you looked at the Samples folder under your MAP installation? There are some in this folder C:\Program Files\Autodesk Land Desktop 2006\Sample
    Last edited by MHultgren; 2006-06-06 at 08:42 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: map3d and databases

Scott's book is good, even have a copy myself but it's a little outdated and is not geared towards AutoDesk MAP. If you get the change learn Oracle and it's partnership with AutoDesk. Another source if you want to customize:

http://acad.fleming-group.com/index.html

Murph