See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: File Linking/ Corrupt File

Login to Give a bone

Default File Linking/ Corrupt File

Is it possible for file links or imports to corrupt a Revit file? We've got a corrupted project file that I can't get open, and can't get the backup files to open either. I've tried opening the backups, but the backup list doesn't go far enough back to get to the files I need. I have a hunch that one of the many, many links is corrupting the file somehow. I'm trying to open a backup file from the day before the links were inserted, but the backup directory doesn't go back far enough. Does the "rollback" feature help me here? Instead, I just opened the backup from the earliest date on the list, and I am currently just going through and deleting the links I think are the problem.

The staff on that project says the problem started occurring after they imported a bitmap file. Someone on here can confirm my suspicion, but I think it's a problem to have so many links and imports in the project. After browsing through the links, there's 40 CAD files either linked or imported. That doesn't seem so bad, but when I looked through the drawing list, but there are at least 100 drafting views and almost every single one of them has an image file of some sort inserted into the project. I've always spread the word in my office to use links and imports sparingly for fear of this very thing. Does anybody know a good philosophy on how to use links, imports and image inserts? How often to do it, when to avoid it, etc? Doesn't it increase your file size and regeneration times and apparently your risk of corruption?

Autodesk Revit Developer
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: File Linking/ Corrupt File

Quote Originally Posted by brd
    Is it possible for file links or imports to corrupt a Revit file? We've got a corrupted project file that I can't get open, and can't get the backup files to open either. I've tried opening the backups, but the backup list doesn't go far enough back to get to the files I need. I have a hunch that one of the many, many links is corrupting the file somehow. I'm trying to open a backup file from the day before the links were inserted, but the backup directory doesn't go back far enough. Does the "rollback" feature help me here? Instead, I just opened the backup from the earliest date on the list, and I am currently just going through and deleting the links I think are the problem.

The staff on that project says the problem started occurring after they imported a bitmap file. Someone on here can confirm my suspicion, but I think it's a problem to have so many links and imports in the project. After browsing through the links, there's 40 CAD files either linked or imported. That doesn't seem so bad, but when I looked through the drawing list, but there are at least 100 drafting views and almost every single one of them has an image file of some sort inserted into the project. I've always spread the word in my office to use links and imports sparingly for fear of this very thing. Does anybody know a good philosophy on how to use links, imports and image inserts? How often to do it, when to avoid it, etc? Doesn't it increase your file size and regeneration times and apparently your risk of corruption?
    There should be no direct correlation between linking and corruption, but as always, please report this to Support and we'll investigate. When reporting to Support, please tell them whether you are using worksharing and whether the file was being saved to a network location?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We had a lot of problems with revit crashing with imported ADT files. We had to explode all of the adt content to use the imports without crashing.

To find out if it is a link problem, copy the local file to somewhere where it can't find the links, then you can open it without any links (it will use the last saved version.) Go through and reload each link until it crashes. Then you should know which is the corrupted file, and hopefully be able to fix it.

I know this sucks, and its why we ae slowly trying to evolve to not using any dwg links.

good luck

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dpollard
    I know this sucks, and its why we ae slowly trying to evolve to not using any dwg links.
    I'm totally with ya on that part, I've tried my darndest to get people to quit to linking and importing. I finally did get a backup file to open, but I wasn't able to open one older than the corruption. It was pretty much the only one I could get open. I counted up well over 100 drafting views (quit counting around 115) and the majority of them had raster images inserted into the view, ceiling details imported from AutoCAD, or engineers' drawings linked in. After recovering that backup file, I detached it from central and saved it as its own central file. Once I removed the raster images, the file sprung to life and started working like a normal file again. There were 30 raster images in the project and I deleted about 10 of them, so far I think it did the trick. However, I didn't look to see where the raster images came from, or what their file sizes are, maybe they were just too big and too many for Revit to handle.

Login to Give a bone

Try moving all the dwgs off the network, then open the file, if revit can't find them it can't load them.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK