See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: collision detection issues

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default collision detection issues

Hi,

I'm trying to utilize the collision detection tool and it does not seem to be indicating things properly. Could someone give me a little better description of what I can expect from this tool than what is supplied in the HELP files? I turned the detection on, drew some ductwork crossing over itself, through a wall and then added some beams going through everything. I did not receive any indication that there was a collision. Is there a particular view I need to be in? A particular visual style?

Any help is appreciated, screen shots of actual collisions are welcome as well ....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: collision detection issues

Rick,
    I'm not an ABS user, but from my understanding, Collision detection will only check for interferences with ADT Structural members. I'm guessing that it will also check for interferences with ducts and pipes, but that's just a guess.
    ie ADT walls don't count.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response David. I did figure it out last night; the view style needed to be set to 2d wireframe (not available in the right click menu of 3d orbit). After that everything worked just as I hoped. Now if there was only a way to export out some collision documentation like in NavisWorks .

So now I can take my RS3 model, export it to ADT/ABS2007 objects and run collsion testing in ABS2007 ..... wahoo!

Thanks again,

Login to Give a bone

Rick, have you been able to get it back to 2006 from RS3? Or is this still causing heartburn?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    Rick, have you been able to get it back to 2006 from RS3? Or is this still causing heartburn?
    I gave up, I figured since ADT/ABS2006 files can be opened in 2007 we can just use that as the common ground. The architect is on ADT2006, our mechanical is using ABS2007 and I'm using RS3. There is not an acceptable work around.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rmcelvain.103137
    I gave up, I figured since ADT/ABS2006 files can be opened in 2007 we can just use that as the common ground. The architect is on ADT2006, our mechanical is using ABS2007 and I'm using RS3. There is not an acceptable work around.
    I know this is off point, but I'm in a similar spot. We are using RS3, Archies are using RB9, we have a consultant that's using Pro-E, we have another consultant that will be using ABS2006 (unless they upgrade) and yet another consultant that's using acad2002LT. This is going to be such a fun project
    If you have any ideas, please let me know.
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Navis Works - $9,000 investment and you can have them all come in.....

With regards to the Structural, Architectural and Mechanical though. The S and A can export to ABS2007 (if it's installed on the same station - which is wierd if you ask me!), the guy with ABS2006 already has ABS2007 (thanks to Autodesk and the mandatory subscription program) they just haven't implemented it yet i'm guessing. Anyway you can then xref all 3 together for collision detection in ABS2007.

Login to Give a bone

Hi, if you want a collision between walls and ductwork, you should use the ABS bonus tools.

This will show collision, and also make a mark to a schedule that shows where the collision is, and what it collies to. Ex amble if there is a door in the wall, it will tell you that it collies with a door. These marks, can be used to force holes in to the walls, and that is very helpfully for the constructors.

The ABS tool, is a software that is free if you bye the ABS, it only needs to be installed.

In the ABS you also have the collision in the Option dialogue box's.

This will only show collisions in between ABS, ductwork and piping and so on, not ADT, here you must use ABS bonus.

Login to Give a bone

Rick have you had any problems with bringing in ABS 2007.1 objects into Navisworks and having them come in as 2D linework only?

I'm wondering if anyone else has that issue or if it is just me.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert.garcia
    Rick have you had any problems with bringing in ABS 2007.1 objects into Navisworks and having them come in as 2D linework only?

I'm wondering if anyone else has that issue or if it is just me.
    Hi Gilbert,

You're not alone. I am still having issues with ABS2007.1 and Navisworks V5. A work around I've found is to save your drawing in an isometric view in either Realistic or view. It is kind of a hassle and I didn't have to do it with ABS2006 but at least I can get Navis to read my drawing.

Hope this helps
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast