Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

Hey there folks,

I have several Autodesk licences running over networklicence and during some period of high labour, in need of more in the running. Now i'm jockeying the licences from one "subgroup" to another, to keep everyone on the job.

So does anyone know or it is possible to officially "rent" some software and include it into the licenceserver for that period of high demand instead of buying it?

Before I take this Q to the dealership is just wanted to hear out augi or anyone knows or renting autodesk software is possible, or it is costeffective, etc...

regards,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

Hi "galba_jurgen" ( Sorry, I do not know your real name )

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

Hi

Have you seen the following thread...

Autodesk please note - Software rental program

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

I have seen adds for a few companies (in the UK mainly I think) that rent out the full workstation with all the software. Not sure if any of them rent out just the software though. Plus whether it's above board with regards Autodesk knowing about it is anyones guess.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by paddymackey
    I have seen adds for a few companies (in the UK mainly I think) that rent out the full workstation with all the software. Not sure if any of them rent out just the software though. Plus whether it's above board with regards Autodesk knowing about it is anyones guess.
    The issue with renting software lies within the license agreement itself. It states that the software can only be run on the machine of the person that owns the license or a machine the person that owns the license is in direct control of. So if its a company it either needs to be on a company computer or on a computer controlled by the person that the software is licensed to.

The issue is "control" and what establishes it? Renting a license by its nature can never allow direct control over the license so installing the license on another person's machine not directly under the control of the license owner is automatically out. Same with checking out the license from the server, which technically is only legal if done from a machine owned by the company or by the person the software is licensed to unless the computer is somehow in the direct control of the company. BUT, technically speaking, renting a system out that already has the software on it...a computer owned by the company that has the license...and likely password protected to "retain control" with a contract stating the rights the "renter" has over that machine may be legal. There is a gray area here as by the letter of the license agreement it meets all the criteria, yet the definition of "control" may be disputed depending on legal precedence in your part of the world.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

Dilbert

I thought I'd read somewhere that you can have a copy loaded at your office and a copy loaded at your home, as long as there not used at the same time and only used by the same person.

Is this true?

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    Dilbert

I thought I'd read somewhere that you can have a copy loaded at your office and a copy loaded at your home, as long as there not used at the same time and only used by the same person.

Is this true?
    From what I have read in the EULA, that is not true...The company that owns the license must have "direct control" over the workstation that the software is installed...Plus the computer "must be owned" by the company that owns the license...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Is it possible to rent Autodesk licence for a certain period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    From what I have read in the EULA, that is not true...The company that owns the license must have "direct control" over the workstation that the software is installed...Plus the computer "must be owned" by the company that owns the license...
    This is taken from the Autodesk FAQ's

Q4: Am I allowed to copy and use the software on more than one (1) PC?
    No. Unless authorised by Autodesk in writing, you are not allowed to reproduce, install or duplicate and use the software onto another PC. The unauthorised act of doing this simply means that you have violated Autodesk’s copyright on the software.

Autodesk only allows the following copying:

one archival or backup copy of the software which is an authorised copy allowed under the license. The archival or back-up copy will only be used when the original is lost or destroyed or rendered unusable. The archival copy may not be used or installed as long as another copy of the Software is installed on any computer.
    For commercial versions, one Additional copy may be made on your Home Computer provided - only you use this additional copy; Your home Computer and Work Computer are not in the same location; and You do not use this Additional copy at the same time as you use the Commercial version.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    For commercial versions, one Additional copy may be made on your Home Computer provided - only you use this additional copy; Your home Computer and Work Computer are not in the same location; and You do not use this Additional copy at the same time as you use the Commercial version.
    Please look at the thread below...It has the direct copy of the EULA that states what you can do with a home computer...

:edit: sorry not from the EULA, but from a Certified Dealer that received it from Autodesk...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...highlight=EULA

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    Please look at the thread below...It has the direct copy of the EULA that states what you can do with a home computer...

:edit: sorry not from the EULA, but from a Certified Dealer that received it from Autodesk...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...highlight=EULA

Autodesk should update their website, otherwise its a bit contradicting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast