See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Toggling between AutoCAD applications

Login to Give a bone

Question Toggling between AutoCAD applications

In order to use the publish option for our Land Desktop 2005 files, I have to use Land Enabled Map 2005. In order for our drawings to open in LEM I have to first open LEM, then close it and then open my file. Is there any easier way? The "open with..." option doesn't work because the computer recognizes LEM and LDD as the same application ("AutoCAD application").

Certified AUGI Addict rkmcswain's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Toggling between AutoCAD applications

The last used profile will always be used. So if LDT was the last one opened, then LDT will open when "acad.exe" is called from the O/S.

If you are using PUBLISH, why are you opening drawings from the O/S anyway? Why not just open LEM, then run the PUBLISH command, add your drawings, then publish?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Toggling between AutoCAD applications

Thanks for the response. That's a good point, that saves one step, how about when I need to go back and edit with LDT? Same process? I'm trying to avoid dialog boxes as much as possible. What I really want to know is if there is a command that can switch apps. (Similar to UNLOADCD to unload civil design).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc
    Thanks for the response. That's a good point, that saves one step, how about when I need to go back and edit with LDT? Same process?
    I guess I don't understand. Do you routinly start AutoCAD by double-clicking a DWG file? If so, I don't know a way off hand, unless you create a custom action that calls AutoCAD using the /p switch to load a certain profile.

I would just suggest opening the application by using the icon (LDT or LEM) then using OPEN to open the drawings. You can also drag/drop the drawing onto the title bar to open it.

What I really want to know is if there is a command that can switch apps. (Similar to UNLOADCD to unload civil design).
    If you have LEM open and you close ALL drawings (get in a zero-document state), then open a LDT drawing, LDT will become enabled.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Toggling between AutoCAD applications

Yes, I do directly open a drawing, the way our file structure is (we have literally thousands of files) Xrojectsyearproject_numberACADimprovementstype_of_improvementsheet.dwg
    its much more efficient to have a shortcut to the specific projects we are working on at the time. It becomes cumbersome to have to navigate through seven menus every time we open a file. Also we often work on more than one file at a time, so clicking on the .dwg opens another session of LDT instead of closing the first drawing and opening another. I've tried to go to a zero document state in LEM and then opening a a LDT document, but acad.exe still recognizes LEM as the last application used. You also mentioned using a /p switch, how does that work?

Login to Give a bone

its much more efficient to have a shortcut to the specific projects we are working on at the time. It becomes cumbersome to have to navigate through seven menus every time we open a file.
    Have you looked at creating shortcuts in your OPEN dialog? See: http://lynn.blogs.com/lynn_allens_bl...p_on_auto.html

I've tried to go to a zero document state in LEM and then opening a a LDT document, but acad.exe still recognizes LEM as the last application used.
    I meant get LEM in a zero document state and then open a LDT drawing (by using the OPEN command or drag/drop) in the LEM - it should "turn into" LDT.

You also mentioned using a /p switch, how does that work?
    See:
    http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/....jsp?id=142858
    -and
    http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/au...e_switches.htm
    ...for more info.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Toggling between AutoCAD applications

Thanks for the links, I appreciate the help!