Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boiling it down: you get one wish!

Default Re: Boiling it down: you get one wish!

Complete documentation. This would mean, for instance, an entire book on the family editor (maybe two), several chapters on the behavior of each of the major families, a book-length discussion of rendering in both line and tone, and so on. Probably this would be a complete shelf of books.

This wish will solve all Revit's problem

Fire the dude at Autodesk that thinks that the world is flat, that buildings should be square, or not bigger than 10.000 sq. feet and thinks that we live in 1987 and finds AccuRender cutting edge technology.

But on a serious note...getting Revit to model, document and render on the same level of AutoCAD and 3ds max is a very important step. What got most potential new users away from Revit is the fact that they are limited in what they can do with this software. In order to beat the competition you have to at least offer the same tools as the competitors unless you only want to market Revit towards home designers or local design firms that do small to midsize commerial projects.

On a personal level, my number one wish is the loft tool.
    Last edited by Andrew P; 2006-06-30 at 12:36 PM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

So far the only wish consistently appearing is Site Tools, if you can use the term consistent at all in this thread. Otherwise there is no common thread...wishes all over the place. Is it any wonder users are hard to please? The number one wish, the most important thing Revit needs and we have no consistency. We do have consistency, just consistent that everyone thinks Revit needs something

Andrew your assessment of Revit is testimony to your inexperience and unjustly harsh. Nothing wrong with being increasingly capable but your rhetoric is tiresome... (as is my fanatical support of Revit I suppose )
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2006-06-30 at 12:22 PM.

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    So far the only wish consistently appearing is Site Tools,
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually used the site tools and maybe one or two of those times have I needed to do something that the current tools couldn't accomplish. I suspect those who need better site tools are just the loudest and that those of us who couldn't care less or who are okay with what we have (but wouldn't object in the least to having something better) make up the vast majority.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGrouch
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually used the site tools and maybe one or two of those times have I needed to do something that the current tools couldn't accomplish. I suspect those who need better site tools are just the loudest and that those of us who couldn't care less or who are okay with what we have (but wouldn't object in the least to having something better) make up the vast majority.
    Until you encounter something that is a problem it is not a problem. (where is cosmikingpin when I need him?). Those who need better site tools are not necessarily louder than you, they have just been places with Revit that you have not. It is not a matter of volume, but of experience. If those of you who couldn't care less choose to remain silent that's OK with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joef
    Until you encounter something that is a problem it is not a problem. (where is cosmikingpin when I need him?). Those who need better site tools are not necessarily louder than you, they have just been places with Revit that you have not. It is not a matter of volume, but of experience. If those of you who couldn't care less choose to remain silent that's OK with me.
    My point was that it's hardly a consensus among Revit users that Site Tools are the overwhelming pick for needed improvement, as was implied or suggested by others.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

That's my point, the wishes thus far are as different as the people submitting them and there is no direction to be taken from this as it stands...except do everything NOW!
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2006-06-30 at 02:09 PM.

I'm undecided on wishlist threads...and yet I still manage to contribute to them from time to time.

I think that there might be more consistency than is apparent in this short list. Wes, has in the past aggregated wishes and there are constant appeals for modeling tools (loft, loft, loft) site tools (though I'd settle for a driveway tool), bug fixes (groups, elevation tag, wall joins) interoperability improvements, rendering improvements, and interface improvements.

Personally, I think these are all important but would get the most benefit from interface improvements because more speed every day adds up to more time for work arounds when they pop up once in a while.

The point of these threads isn't to influence the factory, it's to provide a forum for discussion about what we want from Revit so that someone else can tell us how we can already do that.

All AUGI, all the time

Ability to shortcut keystroke items on the options bar or macros maybe. I'm with MartyP. I mouse up to that EDIT button a thousand times a day.

Geof.

Sorry, Wes - have to change my ONE WISH !!!!!!!!!!! Revit, PLEASE FIX THE WALLS ---- QUIT WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING AND JUST FIX THE WALLS !!!!!!!

If the problem is that the walls are trying too hard to think, then make them dumber or something, with more customizable ends & intersections even if that requires a couple of steps. That's better than spending a lot of time trying to make the un-workable work. As it is, they serve only as schematic anyway, because you have to go back and fix them to make them suitable for all views. So, let's just admit what they are...like the stair tool, just schematic.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by narlee; 2006-07-04 at 02:07 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast