See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: IT vs.CADD Support - Will this work?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy IT vs.CADD Support - Will this work?

I’m the IT/CADD manager at an Architectural firm of about 140 people… I currently have two support people working under me but unfortunately, because of our rumbling economy, they’re both quite junior and neither knows AutoCAD (or has a drafting background). About a year ago I mentioned to a senior manager that I desperately wanted to hire a CADD support person, but that there wasn’t anyone out there with the right qualifications… We’re desperate for staff, and if someone who could draft applied with us they’d be hired by Production in a heartbeat! Between the day-to-day support of staff and trying to train my two juniors, I haven’t had nearly as much time as I’d have liked to sit and work with the staff on building their AutoCAD skills, developing ADT content, etc.

Apparently, about two weeks ago, a resume landed on one of the (five) Production manager’s desks that had “CADD Support” written all over it. Rather than forward it on to me, the five of them called a meeting and decided they should hire this guy, have him answer to them (so that if it gets nutty-busy he could be called upon to draft) but basically have him sit with and coach their staff. They called in my senior manager, but nobody saw fit to let the it/C-A-D-D manager know any of this…
    While I understand the immense benefit to the company of having someone in this role – heck, I thought it was brilliant when I thought of it months ago! - I’m really “struggling” with how it came about and how they think it’s going to run. I’m not convinced that having CADD support tied directly into Production will work and I’d be grateful for a few outside opinions… Thanks in advance!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: IT vs.CADD Support - Will this work?

Quote Originally Posted by TLF
    I’m really “struggling” with how it came about and how they think it’s going to run. I’m not convinced that having CADD support tied directly into Production will work and I’d be grateful for a few outside opinions… Thanks in advance!
    A couple questions: First, what is your job? I know you are the IT manager, but what is your background? Do you do customization work or do you have a design background?

My thoughts: Well, the fact neither of your staff knows AutoCAD tells me they are more "IT" individuals and not CAD/design individuals. This would lead me to believe that your department is thought to keep the computer systems up and running. Likely they don't want this individual under your leadership because this would mean your IT individuals or this individual would be sitting around doing your overflow IT work, developing ADT content, etc. all day long and not be available for training and production on demand which they seem to believe is important.

I suppose I don't see a problem as long as this individual doesn't effect the way YOU do your job. In other words, if these managers want to hire a guy to make their department more productive with their software because your department hasn't had the time... I don't see a problem with it. Granted, your department may be under-staffed as well, but as an Architectural firm having a guy on-staff that can be billable and will provide training as well could be a major perk. You essentially are the CAD IT manager, he's the trainer/production personnel.

Without knowing your background and duties its difficult to say exactly what should have happened, but it seems you're viewed as computer/technical support administration. This individual is viewed as a Production worker with training duties. These are very different positions, your job is to keep the technology running and data flowing (technology and data production), his job is to aid design production in particular with employee support (design education and accuracy). Both posts are vital, yet they don't need to be under the same person. A good communications flow is vital between the two of you since you ultimately both were hired to make sure production employees stay productive and follow standards, just in different ways. So I agree you should have been informed, perhaps even tested his CAD skills. I just don't think that he necessarily would need to report to you or your boss since his job isn't managing information (a technical/CAD skill), its improving design production among the current staff (a design/educational skill).
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2006-06-27 at 03:06 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would have to agree with what Brother Dilbert said

It does seem that they wanted someone who has a technical background to improve their staff. I know it smarts when this is done to you, I've been there. I was doing the Managers role at my last place for about a year, but was never elevated to the position. It was always given to one of the cronies engineers to do the job, who never did the job and just asked me to do it any rate. Then all of a sudden they brought in a manager without advertising the post or anything, most annoying. So after putting an official complaint to the upper management, who surprise, surprise found nothing untoward with the way it had been done, i voted my displeasure with my feet and moved. The best thing is that after I'd left things started to fall apart.

Revenge is a dish best served cold as the Klingon's say, though I suspect they pinched it from someone else

The thing is you can either run with it and get along with the guy, letting him know that you'll support him as long as he supports you. Or vote your displeasure with your feet.

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

A quiet word with someone to make it known that you were unhappy at not being consulted at all may be a good way to go, and asking if you will be able to utelise this guys skill where you need it.

I think it is important that you remember that this guy didn't ask for the situation. Make the best of what you've got. You need more CAD support, then befriend him and see if he's capable of helping out where is needed. You might find he's wonderful... or absolutely useless, if the latter, then he isn't your problem so teflon shoulder him back to the folk who hired him.
    Good luck!

Login to Give a bone

My background was originally architectural drafting and space planning... then CADD supervisor/customizer... teaching cadd and manual drafting... and then IT, (I opened up a box one day and got hooked).
    Having had a few days to ponder - I think what you're all saying is that I should accept the help for what it is and get over the way it came about...? And you're probably right. I think, too, that I "might be" a bit of a control freak and want to do everything myself... (it's possible)
    In any case, I guess I just needed a reality check from the outside world. Thanks.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I actually have a Similar Problem and was going to post it when I ran across your Post.
    I'm an Engineer turned CADD Manager frustrated by a paranoid IT Manager.
    The CADD Personnel really Need some training and leadership and although I'd like to help my boss is wanting me to limit myself to C.Y.A. Mode and not going out on a limb and being proactive in any way. It is hurting the company and frustrating me, but working for him. We simply wait for disaster and complain Standards were not followed when there is a problem. I'm beginning to think CADD management that is actually effective can not be done when its under the wing of I.T.
    The alternative of being tied to production is even more ineffective because of the inevitable blame game that happens when there are failures and the refusal of Project Managers to take responsibility. I've been the scape-goat too many times to go back to Engineering, but I'm not content to just install software and wait for disasters.
    Is there a better way?

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

You've taken the first step already by the sound of it by recognising a problem.
    If your IT manager isn't open to suggestions then possibly point out to another manager and make it sound like their idea if you can
    Managers like that...
    See if you could get all new folk who use CAD to do an "induction to our way of doing things" maybe have a crib sheet of do's and don'ts. If you make it apparent to the IT manager that it's cost effective then surely he can't complain. The less training/leadership these folk get the higher chance there is for things to go wrong and the more time you'll need to put things right. Facts and figures might be useful. Keep track, over a month of what you do, ie how much time spend repairing, setting up new, etc... identify how much time would have been saved if you'd been able to spend more time training?

Just my ideas, I'm no expert. Hope it helps

Good luck.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joel.bergkvist
    I actually have a Similar Problem and was going to post it when I ran across your Post.
    I'm an Engineer turned CADD Manager frustrated by a paranoid IT Manager.
    The CADD Personnel really Need some training and leadership and although I'd like to help my boss is wanting me to limit myself to C.Y.A. Mode and not going out on a limb and being proactive in any way. It is hurting the company and frustrating me, but working for him. We simply wait for disaster and complain Standards were not followed when there is a problem. I'm beginning to think CADD management that is actually effective can not be done when its under the wing of I.T.
    The alternative of being tied to production is even more ineffective because of the inevitable blame game that happens when there are failures and the refusal of Project Managers to take responsibility. I've been the scape-goat too many times to go back to Engineering, but I'm not content to just install software and wait for disasters.
    Is there a better way?
    I think you've got to point out that CAD is a specialized program, then point out as well that the IT department don't decide on document layout and the like. Certain stuff have to be done via the CAD managers post and others by IT. If you can persuade them of this then you'll be on your way. Failing that challenge the system directly, I've had to do that before. I worked in a company that tied the system down so much you couldn't right an email without permission (well not quite that bad but almost). Keep throwing problems at them for them to fix, then when they don't come up with anything show them how you did it. I'm sure there are some folk out there with guidelines for CAD Management that you could use to wave under noses.

Its worth a try.