Thread: Mechanical Electrical or Piping basics

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning

Default Mechanical Electrical or Piping basics

For us complete beginners.

I would be interested in some Mechanical Electrical or Piping basics as it's the oil industry that I'm intersted in. Stuff like introduction to types of drawings and what each are used for/show? Is that possible, I know it's more into the designing/engineering knowledge, but I've been looking after the same drawings for the last 3 years and I still don't know exactly what I'm looking at when I pick up some of these. I assume there may be others in the same situation.
    Also if there is something on the types of symbols used in these sorts of drawings and how to use them. Is this too vague a thing? Possibly even just a taster of one type of drawing?

... Am I trying to run before I can walk???

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar

Default Re: Mechanical Electrical or Piping basics

Quote Originally Posted by Pontoon
    For us complete beginners.

I would be interested in some Mechanical Electrical or Piping basics as it's the oil industry that I'm intersted in. Stuff like introduction to types of drawings and what each are used for/show? Is that possible, I know it's more into the designing/engineering knowledge, but I've been looking after the same drawings for the last 3 years and I still don't know exactly what I'm looking at when I pick up some of these. I assume there may be others in the same situation.
    Also if there is something on the types of symbols used in these sorts of drawings and how to use them. Is this too vague a thing? Possibly even just a taster of one type of drawing?

... Am I trying to run before I can walk???
    Hi Pontoon,
    I am not sure whether they will conduct an ATP course on Engineering subjects. If not, a dedicated forum for sharing Engineering information would be quite nice idea. I don't know whether it comes under AUGI scope. But we have to remember the fact that almost all Autodesk products are based on Designing/Engineering.

If all these things don't happen, then atleast we can start a thread in a suitable place to exchange Engineering / Desing information

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomharis
    Hi Pontoon,
    I am not sure whether they will conduct an ATP course on Engineering subjects. If not, a dedicated forum for sharing Engineering information would be quite nice idea. I don't know whether it comes under AUGI scope. But we have to remember the fact that almost all Autodesk products are based on Designing/Engineering.

If all these things don't happen, then atleast we can start a thread in a suitable place to exchange Engineering / Desing information

Best of luck.
    We try to be very open minded on the subjects that we offer. But we also consider that the classes should be based on the use of Autodesk products or those third party programs associated with it. This is after all Autodesk Users Group International.

Our intent is to help as many AUGI members as possible improve their knowledge and skills for use in their industry. Some subjects specific to the industry might not be useful to more than a small handful of users. Those subjects are best handled in the forums.

I noticed that we don't have a MEP forum other than those specifically aimed at the Mechanical and Electrical add-ons. I think that mentioning this subject in the Forum Feedback will yield a good result.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
    Ken
    Last edited by Ken.Leary; 2006-06-28 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error -oops.

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning

Ta, forgotten I'd posted this.

Thanks both Ken and Harls. I think I will try and learn the stuff I've got from the various training links which keep appearing. Then I'll start worrying about more MEP related stuff. Though if there is a place specifically for MEP to be discussed it might be useful for me to hang out there and absorb the knowledge. ... just like I have been on cwc ... I'll get there eventually.

Question Re: Mechanical Electrical or Piping basics

I think we've brought up discipline specific stuff in a few forums. for what it's worth, I'd hop into any MEP-specific stuff. I've had to learn it all on the fly here... would anyone be willing to do a basic ABS course or something? I'd totally download a trial of ABS and take the class (those things are good for a month, right?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontoon
    Ta, forgotten I'd posted this.

Thanks both Ken and Harls. I think I will try and learn the stuff I've got from the various training links which keep appearing. Then I'll start worrying about more MEP related stuff. Though if there is a place specifically for MEP to be discussed it might be useful for me to hang out there and absorb the knowledge. ... just like I have been on cwc ... I'll get there eventually.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost