Thread: View Specific Family Instance Parameters

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default View Specific Family Instance Parameters

Hello all,

Warning: do not even attempt to start to think about this unless you are either A. one of the REVIT Founders, B. a card carrying member of the REVIT GURU Association, or C. you just have too much time on your hands.

Okay, now for the question: Can you control one Family Instance Parameter to be different in separate views? Example: you want your family instance parameter to be 10' high in one view, then show as 5' high in the other. We want to simultaneously show two different configurations in two side-by-side views.

Currently, we are experimenting with this by establishing a Shared Parameter which we will link to our Instance Parameter. but how to show the same family in two configurations (instances) ?

Thank you for your consideration. The solution to this exercise may provide valuable information regarding other good tips and tricks, a better way of doing things like this, or even find the cure for the common cold. We all try and do our part. I appreciate any advice.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View Specific Family Instance Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by chris.73431
    Hello all,

Warning: do not even attempt to start to think about this unless you are either A. one of the REVIT Founders, B. a card carrying member of the REVIT GURU Association, or C. you just have too much time on your hands.

Okay, now for the question: Can you control one Family Instance Parameter to be different in separate views? Example: you want your family instance parameter to be 10' high in one view, then show as 5' high in the other. We want to simultaneously show two different configurations in two side-by-side views.

Currently, we are experimenting with this by establishing a Shared Parameter which we will link to our Instance Parameter. but how to show the same family in two configurations (instances) ?

Thank you for your consideration. The solution to this exercise may provide valuable information regarding other good tips and tricks, a better way of doing things like this, or even find the cure for the common cold. We all try and do our part. I appreciate any advice.
    Ummmm - sounds like you are trying to do what design options already can do, yes?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

oooh that sounds confusing. One more detail:

We have created a "B" Shared Project Parameter which we then linked our "b" Family Instance parameter to: B=b. But the link is not working. So although everything LOOKS like it could work, the Family Instance never changes even though the Shared Parameter does.

Any ideas? Is there some other way to link these parameters together? Sorry to be coming up with these odd ball questions, but I am sure that there is some gem of wisdom hidden in here somewhere. can you help me find it?

THANKS!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Darn it, the REVIT Maharishi hit the nail on the head. Yes, you could do this with design options. And that point was brought up already ; )

However, the idea was to provide a more fluent Time Value parameter, that could be quickly adjusted between views. EX: show me the curtains UP, show me the curtains DOWN; or one view with Door Open, next to the same view with Door Closed. our application is a bit more complex but th point is the same idea. Show multiple LIVE MODEL views with the same component in various time-phased positions.

I know design Options can do this, but it isn't that really a bit more cumbersome then just trying to reinvent the software? ha ha. We kind of ended up at this location after taking several things into mind. can something like this be tied to a view (answer, yes using design options!)

THANKS for thinking about this one!

Login to Give a bone

model parameters are what they are, be they type or instance parameters. That's the whole point of BIM, all the objects that you see in 2D drawings exist in one 3D location, and so they appear in all the different 2D views and are changed and updated in all the different 2D views simultaneously.

To me, to have a single model object capable of different simultaneous instance parameters in different views would defeat the purpose of BIM. In your particular application maybe not, but in other cases maybe so.

I would say just stick to design options, or create a family that has model geometry visible one way in elevation/section and a different way in plan view, like all the doors do anyway (door is closed in elevation/section but appears open in plan).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    model parameters are what they are, be they type or instance parameters. That's the whole point of BIM, all the objects that you see in 2D drawings exist in one 3D location, and so they appear in all the different 2D views and are changed and updated in all the different 2D views simultaneously.

To me, to have a single model object capable of different simultaneous instance parameters in different views would defeat the purpose of BIM. In your particular application maybe not, but in other cases maybe so.

I would say just stick to design options, or create a family that has model geometry visible one way in elevation/section and a different way in plan view, like all the doors do anyway (door is closed in elevation/section but appears open in plan).
    I agree with your point about protecting the BIM data, but the conditions such as doors opening/closing that do deserve some attention. Perhaps some parameters could be designated as animate-able for rendering and presentation.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    to have a single model object capable of different simultaneous instance parameters in different views would defeat the purpose of BIM.
    WOW, I didn't mean to invoke Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle here! No advanced quantum states required for our BIM. And I agree 100% with the Single Object as it relates to a single unified database. Believe me I have been giving this sermon for a decade! But Aaron does bring up a good point about "animate-able parameters for rendering and presentation" and I think that is how I should have phrased my original question.

So thank you Maharishi, for being more concise.

Better Question: how do you animate things like door swings and operable projection screens in your presentations? Can we animate during a walk through? or is it only side by side canned [not live model] presentation images; one Up, one Down. Is this the state of the art?

Thank you for your consideration.

Login to Give a bone

you mean like have the doors open as you "walk" through them? Yeah, it would be nice if it would animate like that, but that would require alot more powerful animation software than what Revit is capable of I think, along the lines of what the Pixar animators use, etc.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you're looking to animate it's tough but if you just need to set up the family to show one way or another you can use yes/no instance parameters to control visibility/display of cerain elements in a view. You'd still have to go in and set the parameter for each instance but Revit can't do everything for us or we'd all be out of a job

Of course if they all want to be up/down you can select all instances and change the paraeter globally.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses. There have been some good work-arounds presented. One tip not discussed here was to use Level of Detail settings to show the component Open in a Coarse view, and Closed in Fine view. Cool idea.

Unfortunately, it appears we are asking too much for the animated motion. The renderings are done in VIZ anyway, so I am going to propose that this motion sequence be done in VIZ or 3d MAX. I just hate passing on a chance to WOW clients using the BIM software alone. You could do an animation cycle of an assembly in Pro/E afterall...

I do appreaciate your thoughts- maybe this should become a wish list item...