See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is making a Key Plan really that hard?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is making a Key Plan really that hard?

I like the generic annotation method because you can copy/paste aligned to get it in the same place on every sheet, if it's not in the title block family.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    No, we have our standard title block. Then we have to "customize it" with client's logo, (school districts), consultant logos etc just once, at the beginning of the project.
    Hi, I know this post is old but there was a question that wasn't answered fully.

When you say customize your standard titleblock, does this mean that you save the altered standard titleblock as a different file name? Do you then load this into your standard project template, then save the standard template with a different file name?

If that is how you do it, after going through a number of projects, do you then end up with a number of project templates and titleblock templates in your family folders?

Thanks.

Mark

I could stop if I wanted to TroyGates's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

They probably don't save the title block at all. Once they have done their changes, they simply use the 'Load into Project'. This puts the updated family back into the project. If they need to edit it further, they just use the 'Edit family' again.

Its a nice process without having to create extra files since the entire updated family is embedded in the project that uses it.

Login to Give a bone

Spot on Troy.

The titleblock is within the template, so when a project is started, the titleblock family is edited and the client logo, keyplan etc. It is then loaded into the project and not saved anywhere.

Even though we serve repeat clients, it's not worth keeping titleblocks ready with their logo. That makes maintenance a nightmare; this way we fix one titleblock. Each project is unique so keyplans will vary. Since this level of customization is expected in every project, it makes sense to tackle it this way.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    My example is pretty much the same line of thought as what Phil posted. We have hatched regions with visibility parameters tied to parameters in the titleblock family. It's really easy to implement and the user just selects the border in the sheet view, goes to properties and checks the box for the area/s that applies. It's so easy in my opinion, that there's no real urgent need for a "tool"; we have bigger fish to fry

I'm pretty new at all this - I can make the parameters but I don't know how to tie the specific areas to that parameter. Can anyone explain that? Thanks!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by abasgall View Post
    I'm pretty new at all this - I can make the parameters but I don't know how to tie the specific areas to that parameter. Can anyone explain that? Thanks!!
    As an example if you're using a filled region for your area within a family...Go to the properties of the region, there under Graphics will be a check box. To the far right of that is a blank box, click on that and pick which (yes/no) parameter you want to associate the visibility to.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

my question is how to make this generic annotation along with your building outline?
    from cad?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Export it to DWG and import it in to the Generic Annotation. Itll be very heavy, and the performance on the sheet will suffer, though, unless you clear alot of the information out.

Me personally, i trace the whole floor plan with a filled region. Copy and paste that in to the GA, then scale it way down to approrpriate size. It conveys the intent well enough. Some yes no parameters for different "areas" of the building, and were set.

Login to Give a bone

Personally, I just "free-hand" an outline in a generic annotation family. This gets the point across, and you won't run into issues such as small wall offsets turning into too-short line segments (shorter than 1/32") when you scale it down. There's really no need to be 100% accurate scale-wise on a key plan.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Personally, I just "free-hand" an outline in a generic annotation family. This gets the point across, and you won't run into issues such as small wall offsets turning into too-short line segments (shorter than 1/32") when you scale it down. There's really no need to be 100% accurate scale-wise on a key plan.

how can you creat a generic annotation family in the project file?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast