Thread: Section markers out of phase

Login to Give a bone

I have section markers which have somehow become associated with specific phases ( because I drew them in specific phase views no doubt ). Fine, but now I want them to show in other views of other phases. Problem is, the section marker properties do not include a setting to adjust phases
    If I copy them and paste aligned in the other views, they do not get the same reference tags as the originals

What am I missing ?

beegee

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Section markers out of phase

The visibility of the section markers reflects the phasing represented in the views to which they refer. A section cut placed in a "new construction" view will not appear in an "existing" phase view.
    You probably just worked too late.
    -AJH

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ajholland
    The visibility of the section markers reflects the phasing represented in the views to which they refer. A section cut placed in a "new construction" view will not appear in an "existing" phase view.
    You probably just worked too late.
    -AJH
    Yeah, too late and too early

So the answer is to change the phase of the section view to match that of the plan view that the marker is required to appear in.

Hmmm, is this a good thing ? Shouldn't section markers be independent of time ? I'll need to look into this - for instance, I want to cut a section through an existing building and then to show that section view for existing, demolished and new construction, but I want the same section reference for each _' Section A - existing, Section A- demolition, Section A - New '. Is that possible ? ( Am I making sense .. he wonders. )

beegee

Login to Give a bone

Open the section view, click view properties and set the phase and phase filter to show what you want, it doesn't matter when you created the section, that sets its default, but you can allways change any views phase settings.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

"...but I want the same section reference for each _' Section A - existing, Section A- demolition, Section A - New '. Is that possible ? ( Am I making sense .. he wonders. ) "

Fuzzy Logic.
    If they were all the same reference - they would all have the same name - not 3 different names. So I think the idea of a section or other annotation symbol linked to a phase makes perfect sense. What you're really after is 3 section marks in the same location - with different phases.

Sure you could do it with phase filters, but the resulting view is still going to be a specific phase.

Login to Give a bone

just right click on the section name on the project browser and click duplicate with detail, this will create a copy of the section and the section marker in the same location, the section marker will only be visible on views with the same phase settings as the section view.

I don't think it would ever be wise to not have the sections associated with phases, it would be weird to click on a section tag in your existing plan and see new work.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

...to clarify <I was fuzzy.> By the fact that a symbol is visible in a particular view - it is in effect associated with the the phase of that view.

Login to Give a bone

[quote="aaronrumple wrote >What you're really after is 3 section marks in the same location - with different phases.

quote]

Ah ha,

What I'm really after is 1 section mark in the same location, that appears on each of the different phase plans. Clicking on that section mark therefore takes me to a section view that shows the appropriate phase, which is the same phase as the referenced plan of course. The section cut location is constant.

From reading Scott's post, this would be possible by using duplicate detail copies. Presumably, the section marker will have a different tag in each of those views. Ah well .. can't have everthing.

beegee