Thread: Project or Shared Parameter with Formula?

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Project or Shared Parameter with Formula?

I am trying to create a project or shared parameter to add to areas in an area plan called "EFFECTIVE AREA," which would be the actual computed area of a space times a multiplier, depending on the other attributes of that space. I would then like to total this column in my area schedule. Thus, I think this would also require a conditional statement in order to build the values for this parameter.

I created the parameter and added its field to my schedule, but I can't find any way (since I'm not in the family editor obviously) to use a formula to compute the value of this new parameter. Anyone have ideas, or a method that they have used successfully to do something similar?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project or Shared Parameter with Formula?

I'm a little fuzzy on what you're wanting to do exactly but it sounds like you want to get a computed value from a schedule into a tag... close?

Since you can't do this directly you'll need a small workaround. Create an additional shared parameter for your tag and add this to your schedule adjacent to the computed value then, from the schedule, manually type in the results from the computed column into this new column.

It's far from ideal but it's the only way to do what I think you want to do. We're doing similar things with Area Plans for code analysis (the basis of which was taken from several other posts on this subject) and we create schedules just for this purpose (i.e., we don't plan on putting them in the documents). Working well so far.

I could stop if I wanted to roy.70844's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When adding fields to a schedule... look out for the 'Calculated Value' button. Be careful of case sensitivity and also field type for example ... any field which is , say, area multiplied by a number, the field type must be area. Field type set to number will not work.

Hope that helps.

Roy

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by roy.70844
    When adding fields to a schedule... look out for the 'Calculated Value' button.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for, but not seeing. Can you tell me exactly where that choice appears? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Open the schedule, right click on the schedule view and select View properties, under Other>Fields click Edit and the Calculated Value button is in the middle, 4th down from the top....

Login to Give a bone

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that one.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by greg.mcdowell
    I'm a little fuzzy on what you're wanting to do exactly but it sounds like you want to get a computed value from a schedule into a tag... close?

Since you can't do this directly you'll need a small workaround. Create an additional shared parameter for your tag and add this to your schedule adjacent to the computed value then, from the schedule, manually type in the results from the computed column into this new column.

It's far from ideal but it's the only way to do what I think you want to do. We're doing similar things with Area Plans for code analysis (the basis of which was taken from several other posts on this subject) and we create schedules just for this purpose (i.e., we don't plan on putting them in the documents). Working well so far.
    I did want to respond to Greg's ideas, which I appreciate. Actually, what I'm doing doesn't relate to tags, just scheduled values. Your approach does seem like a reasonable workaround, which is still better than transcribing all the results into an Excel file manually, which is what I'm doing now. (Forget about exporting from the Revit schedule and pulling directly into Excel -- there would just be too much format conversion to make it worthwhile.) Until there is a way to use conditional statements within the formula for a calculated parameter value, this is my best bet. Thanks.