Thread: DWF Composer

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question DWF Composer

Does anyone use DWF Composer with Revit? Is it compatible with Revit? The DWF Composer product description at the AutoDesk web site refers to AutoCAD 2005 but not Revit.

Dave S.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DWF Composer

I have't used Composser but I assume it just uses DWF files. Not sure how it will handle properties and the Measurement tool. Like you it would be good to hear from someone who has tried it.

Login to Give a bone

You can print to a dwf file with Revit, using the dwf printer driver found at the Revit download site.

Search dwf on this forum & you'll find a lot of discussions on the merits / shortcomings of dwf.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The only thing missing in the DWF - Revit link is being able to "see" the DWF markups in Revit like you can in a AutoCAD 2005-based product.

Any 2005-based AutoCAD product (ADT, ABS, LDT) can print a multipage single file DWF -- like Revit has been able to do since R5. Someone can mark up the DWF in DWF Composer, and after that, someone else can look at the markup in AutoCAD and see the markup in exactly the right place!

What's missing is for Revit to be able to view the markups in the app itself, rather than having to look at in DWF Viewer, the free app for viewing DWFs. I don't care that much about seeing DWFs in Revit myself -- I have DWF viewer -- but maybe others might?

Login to Give a bone

DWF Composer also comes with a nice DWG viewer which I could see being helpful if you have Revit but not AutoCAD

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by metanoia

What's missing is for Revit to be able to view the markups in the app itself

I don't think that's a good idea. For one, it will bloat Revit. If the codes of DWF viewer is included into Revit's main exe, I think it will just make Revit act slower, and load up much slower. I mean, is DWF really that essential?

Login to Give a bone

I do agree -- I'm quite happy to look at the markups in an outside app. In fact, I think I'm gonna poll the gang!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by metanoia
    The only thing missing in the DWF - Revit link is being able to "see" the DWF markups in Revit like you can in a AutoCAD 2005-based product.

Any 2005-based AutoCAD product (ADT, ABS, LDT) can print a multipage single file DWF -- like Revit has been able to do since R5. Someone can mark up the DWF in DWF Composer, and after that, someone else can look at the markup in AutoCAD and see the markup in exactly the right place!

What's missing is for Revit to be able to view the markups in the app itself, rather than having to look at in DWF Viewer, the free app for viewing DWFs. I don't care that much about seeing DWFs in Revit myself -- I have DWF viewer -- but maybe others might?
    I Disagree Wes. I have now done this both ways. In adt 2004 I and my workers had to use DWF Viewer. We found that it was eaiser to miss some of my markups and when they sent back the dwf's for me to change I then had to have two DWF opened at the same time to cross check. Now when they get the dwf, they have to check of the markup or reply with a comment to each markup. When they republish the DWF I can see exactly what they have done and any comments. I can also see a complete history of every markup in the entire project. Hope this makes sense.

Login to Give a bone

Ah - there's the rub, eh? It's harder to miss a markup when it's right over top of your sheet! If this were implemented in Revit, I suppose that it would be on the sheet as well, and you'd have to be in the habit of working on sheet views rather than floor plan views, or you wouldn't even see the markups.