Thread: AutoCAD link not visible

Login to Give a bone

Angry AutoCAD link not visible

I am looking for some help on getting an AutoCAD dwg file link to show up in all of the model views in Revit- specifically in plan view where I actually need to see it. Right now it only shows up in a 3D view and the remainder of the model is not visible, which seems a bit suspect, like the link is way off in Revit space somewhere but I can't locate the rest of the model at all even when I try and ZOOM TO FIT.

Here is what I have done so far:
    Imported the drawing file as a link in the ground plan view (as a link, B/W lines & origin to origin), but it's not visible so I checked the following:
    1. Visibility for imported categories in this particular view, and the link is shown as checked despite it not being visible
    2. In Manage Links I made sure that the CAD format file is loaded and it is, but its not visible in plan view
    3. I checked the view range and it is okay - in fact when I turn on other CAD DWG links they show up just fine.
    4. I checked the origin point in the Autocad file and it appears to be sinced up with the revit file, but when I try and import the file I get the following warning:
    "Imported objects located a large distance from the model might not display properly. The 'Center-to-Center' option will be used."

Can anyone help me out with this?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD link not visible

Do you have anything else in the project already? Maybe a topo or some other geometry that might be hiding the DWG? Try changing your view to Wireframe...

Also, do you a crop region set? Try turning it off... your DWG might be outside the boundary.

What you described "should" work... always has for me (though I tend to use Current View all the time)

Login to Give a bone

I always insert a CAD file by positioning it manually place with cursor at center. This way I can place it as I wish. I also click wireframe if there are some hidden issues to to spot it.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

This is my first post on any forum. I intentionally signed up because I always have had help from these forums and thought I really should give rather than just take!

Anyway, I have the exact same problem mentioned in the original post.
    1) Go to the plane that you want to link it to (Eg. Ground floor).
    2) Under properties, go to 'View Range' and click 'edit...'
    3) Choose 'Unlimited' for Top, Bottom and Level.

It worked for me and I was so relieved!
    Your problem should be solved. If it helps, please let me know. Thanks

Login to Give a bone

This comment is still helpful!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks ddvanessa! I used your tip and got back my dwg files in all floor plans now!
    but how would you do it for elevations? They don't seem to have view range...

Login to Give a bone

The equivalent of View Range in elevations is Far Clipping. Have you tried maxing that out?
    Someone else may also hid the dwg in view "By Element". Try "Reveal hidden elements" & see if that file appears.
    Hard to give you a definite answer because finding things not visible in Revit is as old as the hill... Companies sell add-ins like Cad files explorer for this task and that says something.
    Definitely try Far Clipping first though. Saved me lots of time.