Thread: Best way to document Client and Company CAD Standards

Login to Give a bone

Default Best way to document Client and Company CAD Standards

I'm a one man operation, but I'm in the process of adding another body to keep up with the demand. So I need to document all my standards and my clients standards for my new employee. I have some non formal templates and so on, but I need to make everything as bullet-proof possible so I can focus on other things and not micro managing. Any good ideas with respects to Font types, Plotting, Dims, Layers, and anything else.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best way to document Client and Company CAD Standards

Quote Originally Posted by avdesign
    I'm a one man operation, but I'm in the process of adding another body to keep up with the demand. So I need to document all my standards and my clients standards for my new employee. I have some non formal templates and so on, but I need to make everything as bullet-proof possible so I can focus on other things and not micro managing. Any good ideas with respects to Font types, Plotting, Dims, Layers, and anything else.
    Well, you're in the right forum. I would suggest browsing through this forum and looking at specific topics in here, there are quite a few good discussions on the topic.

Honestly, standards vary a lot depending on the industry you are in. I would suggest checking out the National CAD standard. Also helpful for Civil is the AEC standard.

Hope that helps.

Login to Give a bone

If you are going to look at the NCS, I'd suggest you only use the basic parts of it, or only the ones that make sense. Having different sets of layers for plans and details is not a bad idea, but creating another set for elevations and sections is just a little over the top IMHO.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    If you are going to look at the NCS, I'd suggest you only use the basic parts of it, or only the ones that make sense. Having different sets of layers for plans and details is not a bad idea, but creating another set for elevations and sections is just a little over the top IMHO.
    That's something I hear a lot, and I agree with the comments.

The NCS can be overwhelming, just take from it what you need, don't over-complicate things.

Login to Give a bone

The bigger issue with the NCS is that once someone adopts it, they don't want to change it, yet the NCS continues to be updated/modified. So basically even though you are on the NCS, you may not be on the correct version of NCS. I think they should really call it the NSNCS or the Non-Standard National Cad Standard.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Best way to document Client and Company CAD Standards

I'm going to pile on too...

I agree with all of you, it really doesn't need to be as complicated as it is.
    We still work mostly in the 2-D world and the difference between the A-SECT and A-DETL layers works good for us in doing building and wall sections.

We do a whole building section using the A-SECT layers and do the finer details in the same drawing using the A-DETL layers as needed. When used as an xref we simply freeze all the A-DETL layers for the building section sheets, and use the same base for the enlarged wall sections showing all the detail.

We (mostly) use the NCS too, because we do allot of work for the dod, gsa, coastgurad, etc. and they all reqire some version of the NCS.

The version of NCS (and attention to the standard) depends on which one you're working for.

I believe the Coast Guard is using NCS 3.1 now which is the one we have in house. I've seen some of our other clients refering to an older version.

Ted