Thread: Edit lines to polyline & remove vertices

Login to Give a bone

Default Edit lines to polyline & remove vertices

I'm working in AutoCAD 2004. I have a drawing from another company with what are supposed to be lots contour lines. Before I received it someone turned the contour splines into polylines and then exploded them, leaving each "contour" on the correct elevation, but made up of hundreds (and hundreds!) of tiny line segments. I need to turn these back into polylines and then remove vertices. Getting them into polylines with the pedit command is very time consuming, does anyone have an idea to streamline this task? Also, I have been unable to find a lisp routine that will remove vertices in V2004...any suggestions? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Edit lines to polyline & remove vertices

Quote Originally Posted by gadjet
    I'm working in AutoCAD 2004. ... Getting them into polylines with the pedit command is very time consuming, ...any suggestions? Thanks!
    Converting lines to polylines is very quick in 2004. PEDIT, multiple, then select all the contour lines, and select a fuzz factor.

Weeding polylines is not available in vanilla AutoCAD AFAIK, but there's a product called GeoTools that does it nicely.

Login to Give a bone

I'm working in AutoCAD 2004. I have a drawing from another company with what are supposed to be lots contour lines. Before I received it someone turned the contour splines into polylines and then exploded them, leaving each "contour" on the correct elevation, but made up of hundreds (and hundreds!) of tiny line segments. I need to turn these back into polylines and then remove vertices. Getting them into polylines with the pedit command is very time consuming, does anyone have an idea to streamline this task? Also, I have been unable to find a lisp routine that will remove vertices in V2004...any suggestions? Thanks!

1. Command : Mpedit > Enter > select all contour lines > Enter
    2. Command : Flatten > Enter > select all contour lines > Enter > Remove hidden lines? "No" > Enter

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Firmso; 2006-07-12 at 06:54 AM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

use the express tool "PLJOIN" to put them all together then change the PEDITACCEPT system variable to 0 and use the express tool "OVERKILL" to eliminate any segments that can be eliminated.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the help, I got them all back together and the file is now small enough for my purpose...even with the millions of vertices! Still, if anyone knows where I can download a routine for removing vertices (V2004), I'd like to have it in my toolbox for the next time! Thanks again

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the help, I got them all back together and the file is now small enough for my purpose...even with the millions of vertices! Still, if anyone knows where I can download a routine for removing vertices (V2004), I'd like to have it in my toolbox for the next time! Thanks again
    See my earlier post above for a link.

Scott