See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Teaching an old dog new tricks - going from R14 to AutoCAD 2006 / 2007

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Teaching an old dog new tricks - going from R14 to AutoCAD 2006 / 2007

I work for civil engineering firm. One of our engineers (who thinks he is still a drafter) is still using ACAD r14. The CAD department is using 2006 and preparing to jump to 2007. Do any of you know what problems we might be encountering or if the problems listed below are because of migrating the drawings back and forth between the two releases?

We have had some problems with hatch patterns that are fine in 2006, get migrated back to 14 and then opened in 2006 again with poor results (pattern broken in pieces or unable to hatch another area with the same pattern specs). We have also found layers that have been turned off or frozen back on when opening in 2006. And worst of all, the newer version of Autocad seems to be unstable (crashing at the drop of a hat).

The CAD department would like to bring this engineer into the 21st century.Not to mention, we want to be able to use ACAD with ALL of the wonderful toys (ie tables, mtext, etc) and find that difficult with the switching back and forth.

Any ideas would be of a big help. We want to present a solid case to our boss.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Teaching an old dog new tricks - going from R14 to AutoCAD 2006 / 2007

Give him A2006. I'm sure he'll soon be able to use it just as if it were R14 but you'll lose the round-trip problems - probably.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Teaching an old dog new tricks - going from R14 to AutoCAD 2006 / 2007

One of the excuses I have heard from "old dogs" like my self, is that I don't have the time to learn a new piece of software or how to use new tools. The answer is most of the old tools still work just fine. Give him 2006 and as he uses it he will convert himself. Remember some problems will still exist if you roll out 2007 and he stays on 2006 they are different engines and 2007 drawings will have to be dummied down.

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When we upgrade it's across the board. No excuses!

It's painful for some but after a few days everyone settles back into the groove of things...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

We have two schools of thought, the first are those who wish R14 was still current and would be quite happy using it forever, and there are those (like myself) who quite sadly get all excited when a new release arrives in the post.

But as other people have mentioned above, give him 2006 or 2007 and let him get on with it, initially he can use it in exactly the same way as R14, but before you know it he will have picked up some of the newer bits and pieces and will wonder how he ever managed without them.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I find most people in real production environments that like the older versions mainly like them because that software is what they are comfortable with. Let them use the new software for 6 months or 1 year and watch them squirm if you suggest using something different. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule like releases that have a huge amount of bugs or people that rarely use the product. But in general, the newer software really is the better software (at least after 2-3 releases) unless your work is very customized or very basic.

I'd put everyone on 2006 or 2007 and get it standardized.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    We have two schools of thought, the first are those who wish R14 was still current and would be quite happy using it forever, and there are those (like myself) who quite sadly get all excited when a new release arrives in the post.

But as other people have mentioned above, give him 2006 or 2007 and let him get on with it, initially he can use it in exactly the same way as R14, but before you know it he will have picked up some of the newer bits and pieces and will wonder how he ever managed without them.

You put it best! I too am geeked when a new release is made. Now I will get a new copy once a year......yeah me!

R14, Cut the cord. Simply state that your license ran out and give out copies of 2007.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You could also point out to him that there is no support now for 14 and then hit him with the money factor. Its taking X amount of time to re-convert the drawings and amend the hiccups its generated that unless he changes you'll have to take it off his machine completely. Give him a short dead line then en-mass stop saving the files down, you have really got to be brutal with him otherwise he could cause even more problems in the future.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beldin
    You could also point out to him that there is no support now for 14 and then hit him with the money factor. Its taking X amount of time to re-convert the drawings and amend the hiccups its generated that unless he changes you'll have to take it off his machine completely. Give him a short dead line then en-mass stop saving the files down, you have really got to be brutal with him otherwise he could cause even more problems in the future.
    Yeah, a short sharp stop. Let him go home on a Friday & when he comes in on Monday there is the brand new version. But I would suggest setting it up in advance for him i.e. toolbars in same position etc. & giving him a quick run through on some of the important changes e.g. layouts, plotting etc. but keep emphasizing the positive.