Thread: Model tab vs Modelspace via Layout tab?

Login to Give a bone

Default Model tab vs Modelspace via Layout tab?

With AutoCAD 2004 I have been having problems with functions behaving differently depending on whether I'm working in Modelspace from a Layout tab, or working in Modelspace from the Model tab.
    Bhatch often fails to recognize regions in one modelspace, but works fine in the other. This also happens sometimes with filleting polylines, trimming lines, etc., and it really gets on my nerves.
    Can anyone tell me why this happens and what to do about it?

(I don't have Admin priviliges for my machine, and can't get them due to this stupid "NMCI" Navy-Marine-Computer-Initiative program I'm stuck with, so I can't even install patches if they affect the system register.)

Thank You!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Model tab vs Modelspace via Layout tab?

I don't know the answer but, since no-one else seems to either, I'll just say that I work on the model in modelspace and not through a paperspace viewport. It just seems logical to do it that way.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Mark

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD Customization forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A problem with many AutoCAD functions is numerical accuracy. If your coordinates have large values, you may not have enough significant digits for points to be recognized as identical. Our recent tendency to work in real-world coordinate systems adds to the problem.

We've seen this in hatch patterns for a long time - prompting AutoDesk to add the ability for hatch objects to have their own origin, so that the hatch pattern doesn't go nuts. Trim/extend can often create linework that should join together as polylines, but won't.

Viewports often use a different UCS from modelspace, often created by from an object (like the centerline of a road alignment on a plan & profile sheet), and this creates an UCS with much smaller numeric values, thus higher significant digits AFTER the decimal point - and suddenly "draw boundary" works in a viewport but not in the modelspace tab.

You can use this! Next time hatch or boundary fails, create a new UCS with a nearby origin, and try again.

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've had this problem in the past and found like was suggested before creating a ucs per viewport did the trick.