See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update a Field using a visibility state in a Block

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Update a Field using a visibility state in a Block

The block that I have created is for a unit type in a condo. But on the 3rd floor the outside walls change a little. So I added an Visibiliby state to the block to show the change. But because of the I can not use my door callout to pull the door property set info. This is a great youse of the Dynamic Block. so we need to find a way to do this.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pangell
    The block that I have created is for a unit type in a condo. But on the 3rd floor the outside walls change a little. So I added an Visibiliby state to the block to show the change. But because of the I can not use my door callout to pull the door property set info. This is a great youse of the Dynamic Block. so we need to find a way to do this.
    i would not embed your door tags for one, and as for your unit wall, use xref's and layers to toggle wall locations like that! It will simplify your life more than you can imagine in this issue!
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Ok.

Attached is the file. Open the file. you will see the door tag. click on the Dynamic Block and click on the door. Change the door number to 02. The save and you will see that is does not update.( Note: if you right click on the door tag you can select tag and it will update.) Now remove the visibility state from the Dynamic Block and then do the same and the door tag will update.

There has to be a way to get the door tag to update and keep the visibility state.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Ok.

Attached is the file. Open the file. you will see the door tag. click on the Dynamic Block and click on the door. Change the door number to 02. The save and you will see that is does not update.( Note: if you right click on the door tag you can select tag and it will update.) Now remove the visibility state from the Dynamic Block and then do the same and the door tag will update.

There has to be a way to get the door tag to update and keep the visibility state.
    wow, you really should xref the plan instead of blocking it like this. you can still array xrefs like normal blocks.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    wow, you really should xref the plan instead of blocking it like this. you can still array xrefs like normal blocks.
    hmmm .... i'm not sure that I understand what the problem is ... the door callout isn't connected to anything from where I can see ..... and even if it was, changing the vis state does not change the door type ..... maybe I got it all wrong ....

Chris is right, though ... Xref would be a much better tool in a scenario like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The drawing is just a part of my drawing that is in my base plan. Then that drawing it xref into my sheet drawings.

What I need it for the callout to pick up the door prop. info for the room number and the door number that is in the door block. and up date it as I change the info for the door. It will not do that if I have a visibility state. But I need it to.

I am using ADT 2006.

Login to Give a bone

The drawing is just a part of my drawing that is in my base plan. Then that drawing it xref into my sheet drawings.

What I need it for the callout to pick up the door prop. info for the room number and the door number that is in the door block. and up date it as I change the info for the door. It will not do that if I have a visibility state. But I need it to.

I am using ADT 2006.
    i think if you re-work how you handle your unit blocks, you may find a solution. sorry, but i think it's bad to nest DB's, and this is just highlighting some reasons why. how did you manage your unit blocks previously?
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

What I did befor. Was if I had a unit block. And that I need one more unit that was that same but a small change in one part. I would make a hole new block. But then if objects that were the same in both blocks changed. Then I would have to edit both blocks. That is why I am doing it this new way.

Login to Give a bone

What I did befor. Was if I had a unit block. And that I need one more unit that was that same but a small change in one part. I would make a hole new block. But then if objects that were the same in both blocks changed. Then I would have to edit both blocks. That is why I am doing it this new way.
    ok, that makes sense, but can you just make a DB of only the part that changes? do you think if you DB'd the wall only, but left the rest normal, would that make a difference?
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yes that would work somewhat. But if an item changed that was the same then I mite have to change 2 diffrent blocks. It would just take more time. It is just a simple thing that I am trying to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast