See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Methods used to control drawing quality control?

The A&E firm I work for has recently grown quite a bit. About 5 years ago we were about 50 people and now we're pushing 80 people. We have cadd operators of all degrees, some with minimal training all the way up to senior drafter/designers. The cadd operators work within their departments but help out wherever they can. We have a pretty decent set of cadd standards to follow also.
    That said, we have a problem with newer, in-experienced people generating poor cadd work. They either look bad and hard to read or just don't follow the normal way we do things. Unfortunately the company isn't set up where the drafters report to any lead drafter who knows what's going on. They basically work for architects or engineers that aren't aware how serious cadd problems can get.

Does any one have any ideas I can bounce off my superiors for checking and controlling these problems before they get too big and go out the door? cadd test upon hiring? QC department? Better procedures?

We don't want to cram procedures down their throat but some things shouldn't be left to interpretation.

Thanks for any advice and input.

Ted

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

<tic> if you point out the flaws, they'll just make you cadd manager... run away while you still can.
    Quote Originally Posted by tedg
    The A&E firm I work for has recently grown quite a bit. About 5 years ago we were about 50 people and now we're pushing 80 people. We have cadd operators of all degrees, some with minimal training all the way up to senior drafter/designers. The cadd operators work within their departments but help out wherever they can. We have a pretty decent set of cadd standards to follow also.
    That said, we have a problem with newer, in-experienced people generating poor cadd work. They either look bad and hard to read or just don't follow the normal way we do things. Unfortunately the company isn't set up where the drafters report to any lead drafter who knows what's going on. They basically work for architects or engineers that aren't aware how serious cadd problems can get.

Does any one have any ideas I can bounce off my superiors for checking and controlling these problems before they get too big and go out the door? cadd test upon hiring? QC department? Better procedures?

We don't want to cram procedures down their throat but some things shouldn't be left to interpretation.

Ted
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

Hi

Do you have any CAD Standards in place ?

If yes, how are they implemented / enforced ?

If no, setting up some simple CAD Standards that all users should follow would be a big! step in the right direction ( in my humble opinion ).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

from the end of the 1st paragraph... "We have a pretty decent set of cadd standards to follow also." I think the question here is one of enforcement more than anything...

i'd suggest telling someone slightly higher up about time/money costs of inconsistent workmanship, and suggest the formation of a person or two to review/check drawings before being sent out... the authority needed for this is obviously going to be your biggest issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Do you have any CAD Standards in place ?

If yes, how are they implemented / enforced ?

If no, setting up some simple CAD Standards that all users should follow would be a big! step in the right direction ( in my humble opinion ).

Have a good one, Mike
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    from the end of the 1st paragraph... "We have a pretty decent set of cadd standards to follow also." I think the question here is one of enforcement more than anything...

<SNIP>
    Hi

I guees I should learn to read first...

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

that's what you've got me for, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

I guees I should learn to read first...

Have a good one, Mike
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Methods used to control drawing quality control?

That said, we have a problem with newer, in-experienced people generating poor cadd work. They either look bad and hard to read or just don't follow the normal way we do things.

They basically work for architects or engineers that aren't aware how serious cadd problems can get.

I don't disagree that bad CAD standards can cause your firm a loss of money, etc. which would be my first arguement, but that would be something you would need to quantify and present. Is this something you could do?

Perhaps the people you really need to get on your side are those individuals that seal the plans and have the ultimate liability. They are putting their seal on plans that are looking less professional and supplying these plans to loyal customers that are also seeing a degrade in the quality standards of work. This isn't a good thing as it could lead to the perception that your firm doesn't care about the quality of work going out the door and its not just the company these employees represent, its each individual that seals the plans that look bad as they place their "stamp of quality" on them. Architects and Engineers if anything take pride in the work they produce. If you can show that they can take more pride and provide more confidence to their clients by providing a higher standard of quality in their production environment, you're set as you'll have managements backing.

Login to Give a bone

Ted
    We have a lot of the same things occurring here. Our company has recently implemented a new quality program (we've always had one, but it was typically for our manufacturing plants, not really the design groups).

Anyway, we have a couple of teams that have been formed; an audit team, which will just audit different areas at random. There is a team that responds to anything that an end customer comments on, or if we discover something in the design phase that could create a problem that the end customer would/could comment on. This team reviews the issue and basically comes up with a way to keep it from happening again.

~shrug~ it's all pretty new, so I don't know how it will all work out, but we shall see.

In any case, I think you will need some sort of team to audit or check this work. It doesn't have to be all the time, if it is random, people will still learn that the drawings need to be right, because if they do get audited, they are going to have to redo them, or whatever your company deems appropriate action.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    that's what you've got me for, isn't it?
    Not to hijack the thread, I just wanted to say that was cute!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    Not to hijack the thread, I just wanted to say that was cute!
    Not to further hijack the thread, but, newlyweds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast