Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Templates / Standards / Procedures

Login to Give a bone

Default Templates / Standards / Procedures

As a new user and new draft man, I am not so much interested to learn all AutoCAD LT bells and whistles at first, I am rather interested to find drafting standards, procedures and associated dwg templates to develop ‘my house’ drawings on AutoCAD LT. Though, it is not a direct AutoCAD question, I would appreciate if someone could direct me to a web site where I could download typical templates, examples, procedures,etc.

Again, before getting in AutoCAD core, I am doing some planing. I have an engineering and project management background. Here is an example of question to be answered. For instance, my home printer can print A3 format, but I know I should from start draw on A1 paper. What would be 'standard' text sizes, styles, dimensions to apply?
    Thank you for your help.
    Gery

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Templates / Standards / Procedures

Have you had much experience of hand drafting? We basically set our cad standards in a similar way to hand drawn, for example text sizes, dim styles etc.

Have a look at ATP075 http://www.augi.com/education/archive.asp?page=293

Also try plugging 'cad standards' into the search as this topic has been discussed at length.

Where abouts are you? I know in the US they have a national standard but from what I understand its a bit to complex to be a real help.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Templates / Standards / Procedures

Hello Gery and welcome to the forums... I'm going to go ahead and move your post from the New Users forum (as this is for testing out features moreso than posting technical questions). It would be better served here. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gery.fryns
    As a new user and new draft man, I am not so much interested to learn all AutoCAD LT bells and whistles at first, I am rather interested to find drafting standards, procedures and associated dwg templates to develop ‘my house’ drawings on AutoCAD LT. Though, it is not a direct AutoCAD question, I would appreciate if someone could direct me to a web site where I could download typical templates, examples, procedures,etc.

Again, before getting in AutoCAD core, I am doing some planing. I have an engineering and project management background. Here is an example of question to be answered. For instance, my home printer can print A3 format, but I know I should from start draw on A1 paper. What would be 'standard' text sizes, styles, dimensions to apply?
    Thank you for your help.
    Gery
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Templates / Standards / Procedures

Hi Gerry.

This site provides some basic "how to" for technical drawing.

This site contains some links that may be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Templates / Standards / Procedures

Steve, Wanderer, John,
    Thank you all for your reply. I must say I am a bit disappointed. How many good looking drawings of single family houses have been performed on AutoCAD based on good standards (preferably in metrics)? Where are they? The sites you are pointing to, indeed show how complex a drawing can be and how many things need to be set up. I imagine that by trial and error, I will have fantastic drawings in 3 to 4 years. That is drawings that I would consider OK without thinking that next time I will do it differently. Before getting in AutoCAD details, I want to keep the goal in mind and from there I will plan, control my endeavor and hopefully limit the learning curve. With this purpose in mind, I thought it would be easier to find final good looking drawings with templates, standards and procedures out there. What is my goal? This is what I would like AutoCAD to help me with. Without it, I am like a cork in the middle of the ocean with for sure a great AutoCAD tool but without purpose. I guess I am on proprietary land, not open land. Definitely, it is this kind of things that I would put very high on AutoCAD development wish list that for sure would create great AutoCAD demand.
    Is this really too much to ask? Am I too demanding?
    Thank you again.
    Regards,
    Gery

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's indeed a process to which we have to go each individually. We are currently creating a standard for our company, but it's not a job of 1 week.

It's also a stamp of the company you work in, you cannot just copy someone elses ideas and standards.
    We have made frames, titleblocks, etc... set up a few dimension styles, text styles,... we made a structure for wich color to use for which linewitdh, etc,... so all our plans have the same look.

It was a lot of work, but everyone with a little CAD experience can do it.

If are you looking for an industrial norm/standard, you'll keep searching i guess (i did wthout results) or pay A LOT of money.

Login to Give a bone

Once upon a time.....

to be an engineering draughtsman required a 5-year apprenticeship.
    Keep working at it but don't expect miracles.

Have fun.

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    Once upon a time.....

to be an engineering draughtsman required a 5-year apprenticeship.
    Keep working at it but don't expect miracles.

Have fun.
    Is that pointed to me?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johan d
    Is that pointed to me?
    Of course not.

Really.
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2006-07-19 at 12:36 PM. Reason: "really" added.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Templates / Standards / Procedures

gery... as mentioned in the other thread, so many different disciplines use autocad, I wouldn't expect them to put their development dollars into templates for each one... heck, I work in FM/MEP and there aren't many standard blocks in their library that apply to my field... which doesn't really matter to me... I create what works for me, just like I did with my cad standards, and just like other caddies do. you know better than anyone else how you work, so I wouldn't put much time into asking others about their procedures, because we all do it differently.
    good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gery.fryns
    Steve, Wanderer, John,
    Thank you all for your reply. I must say I am a bit disappointed. How many good looking drawings of single family houses have been performed on AutoCAD based on good standards (preferably in metrics)? Where are they? The sites you are pointing to, indeed show how complex a drawing can be and how many things need to be set up. I imagine that by trial and error, I will have fantastic drawings in 3 to 4 years. That is drawings that I would consider OK without thinking that next time I will do it differently. Before getting in AutoCAD details, I want to keep the goal in mind and from there I will plan, control my endeavor and hopefully limit the learning curve. With this purpose in mind, I thought it would be easier to find final good looking drawings with templates, standards and procedures out there. What is my goal? This is what I would like AutoCAD to help me with. Without it, I am like a cork in the middle of the ocean with for sure a great AutoCAD tool but without purpose. I guess I am on proprietary land, not open land. Definitely, it is this kind of things that I would put very high on AutoCAD development wish list that for sure would create great AutoCAD demand.
    Is this really too much to ask? Am I too demanding?
    Thank you again.
    Regards,
    Gery
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast