See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post and Beam

Login to Give a bone

Default Post and Beam

Here is a start to a Post and Beam building that I am working on know what you think! The slace is @ 1:16 If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know. Also, if anyone has any material style definitions that they would like to share, please add them.

Thank you,

Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BCrouse; 2006-07-19 at 11:41 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Post and Beam

Cool Brad very nice work. Just one thing though, why have you used wall styles to show the beams and braces instead of structural members? Is there some productivity gain? I haven't delved into structural members too much so am not sure if you can achieve the same thing using them.

Would love to see it when its complete.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Post and Beam

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    Cool Brad very nice work. Just one thing though, why have you used wall styles to show the beams and braces instead of structural members? Is there some productivity gain? I haven't delved into structural members too much so am not sure if you can achieve the same thing using them.

Would love to see it when its complete.
    The reason that I am using wall wall styles for the post, beam and braces is do do the size of them. The posts, beams are 1/2" x 1/2" and the braces are 1/4" x 3/8" for the scale of 1:16. When I tried to use the Structural members, I was unable to get them to the correct size I wanted.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask them.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

My first suggestion would be to not scale the objects down and try to draw them at a small scale. Everything should always be drawn at actual real world sizes. This would solve your problem of not having member sizes that are the right size. If it's an 8" beam, draw it as an 8" beam, not a 1/2" beam. I can't imagine how difficult it was to draw this when you have to convert every dimension (for example, the column spacing of 11"?

Otherwise, nice model.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cholmes
    My first suggestion would be to not scale the objects down and try to draw them at a small scale. Everything should always be drawn at actual real world sizes. This would solve your problem of not having member sizes that are the right size. If it's an 8" beam, draw it as an 8" beam, not a 1/2" beam. I can't imagine how difficult it was to draw this when you have to convert every dimension (for example, the column spacing of 11"?

Otherwise, nice model.
    I know that this should have been done Full Scale. The reason that I did that at this scale is to build it to that scale.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Post and Beam

Here is what I looks like at this time. One question. how do you extend the walls up to the gable without a roof slab or roof style there?

Login to Give a bone

View the wall in elevation, draw a polyline along the lines to which you wish to project, and project the wall to the polyline.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BCrouse
    Here is what I looks like at this time. One question. how do you extend the walls up to the gable without a roof slab or roof style there?
    My only question is what possesed you to use walls for everything Including the cols? Or at least that's what the props box tells me in ADT05. That's just about as nutty as the house I did.

Login to Give a bone

Here you go! I am just about finished with this.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

While I may not fully agree with your using walls for almost everything in your model, I applaude you for figuring out how to make the walls work in every situation that you've used them in. I REALLY like the mass elements that you used to represent your standing seam roof. Those are pretty trick. A couple questions for you:

I take it that you are not planning to use this for construction documentation?

Even if you were not planning to use it for construction docs, why not build it at full scale as Chris suggested and then scale it down to 1:16 and get your sizes from that scaled down version? I realize that the structural member body will not scale down (just the length does) if you try and change it's scale, but your walls will do that since you left the width of the components as adjustable.

Also, if this is not for construction and simply a model why not use something like VIZ or MAX to do what you've done? You still have full control over precision of objects drawn and you can uniformally change all objects scale very easily.

I know you're model is already built so I'm not trying to change the way you are going about this I just want to get a better idea of your goal at the end. I didn't notice anywhere in this thread what the model will be used for (although I have an idea - but i'll let you share if you want). Would you care/be able to share what this is for?

If you would be able to answer these questions, I'm sure all who have seen this model will appreciate it!

Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast