See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post and Beam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Post and Beam

Here is a start to a Post and Beam building that I am working on know what you think! The slace is @ 1:16 If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know. Also, if anyone has any material style definitions that they would like to share, please add them.

Thank you,

Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BCrouse; 2006-07-19 at 11:41 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Post and Beam

Cool Brad very nice work. Just one thing though, why have you used wall styles to show the beams and braces instead of structural members? Is there some productivity gain? I haven't delved into structural members too much so am not sure if you can achieve the same thing using them.

Would love to see it when its complete.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Post and Beam

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    Cool Brad very nice work. Just one thing though, why have you used wall styles to show the beams and braces instead of structural members? Is there some productivity gain? I haven't delved into structural members too much so am not sure if you can achieve the same thing using them.

Would love to see it when its complete.
    The reason that I am using wall wall styles for the post, beam and braces is do do the size of them. The posts, beams are 1/2" x 1/2" and the braces are 1/4" x 3/8" for the scale of 1:16. When I tried to use the Structural members, I was unable to get them to the correct size I wanted.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask them.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

My first suggestion would be to not scale the objects down and try to draw them at a small scale. Everything should always be drawn at actual real world sizes. This would solve your problem of not having member sizes that are the right size. If it's an 8" beam, draw it as an 8" beam, not a 1/2" beam. I can't imagine how difficult it was to draw this when you have to convert every dimension (for example, the column spacing of 11"?

Otherwise, nice model.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cholmes
    My first suggestion would be to not scale the objects down and try to draw them at a small scale. Everything should always be drawn at actual real world sizes. This would solve your problem of not having member sizes that are the right size. If it's an 8" beam, draw it as an 8" beam, not a 1/2" beam. I can't imagine how difficult it was to draw this when you have to convert every dimension (for example, the column spacing of 11"?

Otherwise, nice model.
    I know that this should have been done Full Scale. The reason that I did that at this scale is to build it to that scale.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

Here is what I looks like at this time. One question. how do you extend the walls up to the gable without a roof slab or roof style there?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BCrouse
    The reason that I am using wall wall styles for the post, beam and braces is do do the size of them. The posts, beams are 1/2" x 1/2" and the braces are 1/4" x 3/8" for the scale of 1:16. When I tried to use the Structural members, I was unable to get them to the correct size I wanted.
    In future work, you might consider using the Structural Member Style Wizard to create custom-sized members at reduced scale. The wizard offers a series of generic member types and you enter the desired dimensions. This is available in ADT 2006; I am not certain when this feature was first introduced.

Login to Give a bone

Steve,

Thank you for your response on my Post and Beam dwg. I know that I should not have used the wall for every component in the model. I used them since I could not get the structural members to work the way I wanted them to do. This model is a representation of my plans. The plans that I have created allows me to build scale models which would allow me to build toy barns. This is another reason why I did not drawing it 1:1. One other reason was to help me learn what all I can do with ADT. As for using Viz or Max, I never used them. I am looking into learning more about Viz and Max thou.

I am starting a business on the side building Toy Custom Barns and accessories, Toy Custom Horse Stables and accessories. In the future I will be building Toy Custom Doll Houses.

Thank you for appreciating my Post and Beam. I first tried the stand seam roof with a profile. I didn’t like. So I decided to use mass elements for it. I also used mass elements for the cut outs for the wall on the right with the sloped roof. I am still trying to come up with different ways to make ADT do what I want.

Thank you everyone for taking time to look at this Post and Beam Model.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    In future work, you might consider using the Structural Member Style Wizard to create custom-sized members at reduced scale. The wizard offers a series of generic member types and you enter the desired dimensions. This is available in ADT 2006; I am not certain when this feature was first introduced.
    Thank you the suggestion. Right now I am currently using ADT2005.

Thank you,

Brad

Login to Give a bone

Brad, what didn't you get to work with structural members? I'd be more than happy to try and help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast